Chapter Twenty-Five: Private Lab

Laurus finally managed to get a letter out;

'We've been given a one-time opportunity to write to friends and family. However, we can't get responses back. I'm sending this one to you, Kiyora, with all the information I can. Boot camp is brutal; they really do try to get under your skin. The whole idea is to work the hell out of you, so you question why you're doing this.

'I'm still not used to seeing myself with a crewcut. We're actually training alongside humans as well as halflings and dwarves. Everyone here gets exactly the same treatment and is worked to the bone. The drill sergeants can be nasty, but it was the worst on the first day.

'I'm in a lot better shape than I used to be, and I can shoot a lot better. Sometimes, they have us simulate getting wounded. Other times, our job is to locate several given areas on a map. One time, we were given gas masks and sent ixnto a room filled with the stuff. After we got used to putting it on and wearing it, we had to take it off and recite our oath to Emperor Ictargo.

'I'm not getting any special treatment here.

'But I don't need special treatment.

'I can shoot a lot better than I used to, and my skill with guns has gone way up. My company and I are working to get the absolute best scores we can. We also train in hand-to-hand combat, as well as moving in rough terrain. Discipline out here is tough, but it is really working the civilians out of us.

'When I get to the front, I plan to win many battles.

I''m good at mapping and information analysis, actually. And I fit in pretty well with the others here. I really do think that this life suits me.

'How are things for you? I hope Reya isn't getting nailed too hard; I know she has always been a bit timid. I don't think she'd like it out here at all. And you might have a tendency to talk back.'

Kiyora felt ashamed and undercut. Laurus sounded like he was going through major military discipline. While she was on a glorified vacation by comparison. Granted, they were expected to keep themselves neat and tidy. Beds had to be made and trained in mind and body, but it was nothing compared to what he described.

Especially since Laurus had been working so hard, he'd had zero time to devote to research. Kiyora had been expecting him to have much information for her, but he hadn't even thought about it. So he probably had much less spare time than she, Reya, or Gisora.

Kiyora decided she'd do more research into the infantry. If they could get that kind of discipline into the space force, they'd be in good shape.

'I should redouble my time in the training arena,' thought Kiyora as she practiced with blades in formation. 'And convince Grace and Nelrein to do the same. Leading by example is important.'

She wrote to Gisora and Reya, as well as to other people across the fleet;

We need to step up our game. Laurus is getting put through hell in the infantry, so we've got to make sure they don't beat us.

'Nelrein wrote;

'If the ground pounders humiliate us, we'll be a laughing stock. We're elves, the superior species. A lot of them are mortal. We need to step up our game to match them.'

'Reya wrote;

'We should all do our best to ensure the Emperor and our families are not disappointed.