8: One-Sided Custody Battle

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

『そんにゃんじゃ、チャンスは(にぃ)げてゆく 』

❝ We meowst take our chance before it slips away. ❞

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

One thing you're sure about is how fate works within this anime.

Fate is unbreakable. The characters are bound by the invisible threads of the narrative, and there's no escaping their roles because this is the reason why they existed in the first place: the story. Without it, you believe that they would be nothing, and so they can't escape the fate that was written for them.

All For One's fate is to take Tenko away, but of course, that's not the only thing set in stone.

Shirakumo Oboro is also fated to be taken away by All For One once he dies.

You don't know when or where exactly that will happen, but what you do know is the reason why All For One took him. The reason came as a set of words that stabbed your ears in real time after all; a set of bold, and impulsive words that meant nothing but selflessness within his tone.

"Do you want to come live with me?"

Those words should have made you feel relieved and happy. It promised shelter for you after all; protection, company, a warm place to live in.

But instead of making you feel any relief or joy, you only felt dread. Maybe it's because there was someone else who began to seethe right after those words left Shirakumo's mouth.

"What are you saying?!"

To say that Aizawa looked horrified would be an understatement.

He grasped onto Shirakumo's shoulders while the latter stayed still. "Are you out of your mind? This isn't the same as adopting a cat on the street!"

"He has a cat too," Shirakumo simply said. "I can take them in."

"Stop being stupid," Aizawa gritted out. It made your fur stand on all ends when he clenched his fist and glared at Shirakumo, rid of all warmth and playful exasperation in his eyes.

Nobody said anything about Aizawa being against children in this way. No, as far as you remembered, the man here was an extremely protective guy when it comes to kids. You expected him to be the one who offers to accompany Tenko at least, but for him to be so angry about?

It was messing with your head. The way he was acting different from what you expected him to be.

But Shirakumo didn't seem affected by it. In fact, he looked like he expected this reaction because he just turned to Aizawa and smiled at him.

"If offering help to someone in need is stupid, then I like being stupid."

His response made Aizawa freeze, while he crouched in front of the silent Tenko who looked up at him with a wide, stunned stare.

Shirakumo's gaze softened. "It must have been scary to be out all the time at night time, huh?"

Tenko looked out of words. He wanted to say something, but all that came out was a stammering 'uh', and a step backward. He was ready to run away, and clearly, that's something that Shirakumo and Aizawa must have expected.

"It's your choice, Tenko," Shirakumo assured. He hadn't raised himself from crouching in order to appear less threatening, but even then, Tenko looked disoriented by his mere presence. "I'm just offering you a place to rest for a while. It's not safe for a kid your age to be out there with nobody to protect you."