Chapter 1

The morning dew on the edge of the LeafWing village gleamed dully as early-sunlight shone through the canopy. The warm sunlight soon bathed the entire village in a warm and radiant aura. Even though the entire village was made from trees and plants of the Poison Jungle, it showed that the tribe was not lonely and in need to be sacrificial. Although the tribe was involved in the Tree Wars, the LeafWing population was returning significantly. Ivy flew around the village, hoping other dragons like her were wide awake.

She huffed with annoyance as she landed neatly in the tree canopy, wondering what laid out in the distance. Ivy watched the birds quietly with interest, but her mind was focused on the future, not what was going on before her eyes. Her tail twitched with worry as she made haste and flew off again. Even though she was a normal LeafWing, her tribe hated her for some reason. She could see other dragons messing around in the forest, racing each other across the pond of waterwheels, helping the plants bloom with their Leafspeak. She could see Willow and Sundew talking amongst themselves while other dragons were hunting or playing with each other.

She took off, flying towards the shore and landed on the beach of Pantala, hoping her actions would go unnoticed. She ran the sand through her talons as the heat bathed her scales. She let herself relax in the warmth, ignoring the wingbeats growing steadily louder behind her. "Ivy? Is everything all right?" A voice asked nervously from behind her. She glanced faintly, seeing her best friend Snakeroot padding towards her. "I'm fine Snakeroot, just not feeling so happy today," she sighed wearily. He nudged her shoulder affectionately, seeming worried for her. "Don't forget Ivy, it's the dry season tomorrow," he teased. "And that means we can go to Pyrrhia!" he added, wings fluttering with excitement.

Ivy nodded, laughing, "It IS the dry season, so you better go home and pack, Snakeroot," she teased in return. Snakeroot's eyes flew wide as he quickly hurried away from Ivy, which made her laugh harder. "Oh talons and teeth, he is hysterical!" She chuckled to herself before flying home. She quickened her pace if she wanted to beat Snakeroot to be ready to leave first. As soon as I finish packing, I'll start for Pyrrhia! She thought to herself. She grabbed her satchel, which was made out of sundew vines, willow bark (Not the actual dragon Willow, I mean the tree) and tree sap, and opened the top of it. She grabbed her notebook which she'd made to resemble the Poison Jungle using thick vines, sap, bark, leaves, and some other items, even snake scales. Her Dragonbite viper pen went in the bag as well.

She scanned the room, double-checking to see if she was missing anything. She grabbed her flamesilk pendant, a gift from Luna, and placed it around her neck. "There, now it's time to make haste and go to Pyrrhia," she murmured under her breath. She ran out of her hut and leaped into the air with a powerful flap of her wings, spotting Snakeroot not far behind her. "By the three moons, I even get a head start and you still win!" He growled in mock annoyance. She laughed, shaking her head. "I'm sorry Snakeroot, but I'm just swift, that's all it is." She giggled.

As the two dragons continued their flight to Pyrrhia, the breeze picked up until they were being shoved right and left in the air. "Maybe we should wait for the wind out!" Snakeroot yelled over the howl of the wind, his voice whipped away by the gale. "Good idea!" she called back. She dove closer to the water, where the wind wasn't as strong, but she shot back up quickly, having seen a large shark lurking right below the surface, ready to grab her. "Maybe we shouldn't go towards the water!" she yelled, voice shaking. "Go to the island!" he screeched, spotting a little bit of land with a little copse of trees a few wingbeats away. The two quickly flew towards the island, landing harshly as the wind slammed Snakeroot down.

She landed much more gracefully than he had, folding her wings up. "Duck into the forest!" She'd call out. Snakeroot quickly got to his talons and raced with Ivy to the forest. The wind was less fierce in the forest as they made themselves comfortable. "Are we in the middle of a hurricane?" He'd murmur. She shrugged as she scanned her surroundings, spotting something drift afloat from the storm. "What is that?" She asked, rushing out to grab the object. "Get back here Ivy!" He cried. She tucked it under her wing and ran back as fast as she could.

Ivy pulled the object out from under her wing, amazed at the artifact. "What is that thing?" He murmured, touching the object. She tapped it twice with her talons in wonder as the same glow of the object pulsed around her. "Ivy? Ivy!" He cried out. Her body trembled as the glow died out, her true features were then exposed. She had the webbed talons of a SeaWing, the color changing spots of a RainWing, the glittery stars on her wings of a NightWing, two wrist stabbers of a HiveWing, the barbed tail of a SandWing, the ability to spin silk of a SilkWing, the shape of a LeafWing's wings, the colors of a SkyWing's scales and the ability to breathe fire like a MudWing, and the spikes of an IceWing.

Snaketooth stared in shock of Ivy's true appearance. "So is this why the tribe hates you?" He asked. "I think so, I don't know!" She cried, sitting down. She dropped the gem and her LeafWing appearance returned to her body. "Do you hate me?" She asked, her voice growing quiet. "No! Absolutely not!" He replied, his talons shuffling. "We could talk to Moon or Sunny about it." He added. "No!" She barked, taking a deep breath. "I don't want anyone finding out, it's bad enough the LeafWings hate me! I don't need more tribes doing it." She added.

"Come on, the storm's let up." He murmured, taking the gem and hiding it in his bag. She flew away with Snaketooth close behind her. Her wings pumped heavily as she used her strength to fly towards the Academy, after all she was one of the strongest fliers from Pantala. If the LeafWings hate me, what are the other tribes going to think? Oh three moons why did this happen to me!? She thought to herself as she got closer and closer to Jade Mountain Academy, hoping there she might find answers without the knowledge of other dragons knowing her thin and very hard secret.