Chapter 20 - Looking to the Future

The colossal beast lashed out with its massive limb, the ground shuddering beneath its weight. Rowan flung himself away from the swipe, tucking into a roll and coming up with blade swung back. Beside him, Cadmon ducked low and swept his spear in a low arc, drawing yet more black ichor. For the briefest moment, their eyes met across the glade. There was no trace of hatred there now-only steely focus against a common foe that sought to end them.

Their earlier quarrel was forgotten. Survival against this nightmarish abomination was all that mattered. Rowan nodded once to Cadmon, an understanding passing between them without need for words. Their combined skills would be needed to fell this creature, and any past grievances could wait until the threat was ended.

Elia watched from the trees, breath held, as the men she cared for faced down the monster. Pride and fear warred within her-pride in their bravery, fear for their lives against such a foe. This thing was no natural beast, but something tainted and malign, a terrifying force that could end them with the merest blow.

Yet Rowan and Cadmon fought with a grace and ferocity borne of desperation. They moved as one, striking and retreating with a coordinated elegance against a single foe intent on killing them all. For now, a truce had been called between the estranged men, discarding past discord in favor of the one goal crucial for survival: defeat the abomination before it destroyed them, and the village they both sought to protect. The abomination snarled, swiping with hooked talons the size of daggers. Rowan rolled beneath the strike, coming up on the creature's unprotected side. He swung with all his might, drawing a spout of ichor, but his sword barely marred its corrupted flesh.

An arc of light flashed over Rowan's shoulder - Elia, appearing from her hiding place with hands aglow. Her magic pounded the beast, buffeting it with punishing force. It recoiled, and Cadmon struck like a viper, jabbing spear and dagger into gaps in its plating.

The trio fought as one fluid unit against the singular force of devastation. Rowan's steel hacked and hewed, Elia's sorcery blasted and burned, while Cadmon darted within reach of lashing claws, always striking the vulnerable spots his companions created.

Yet for all their coordination and increasing damage dealt, the beast seemed barely weakened. Its putrid flesh knitted faster than they could tear it, and fatigue began taking its toll on the warriors. They panted with exertion, weapons growing heavy, as the monster raged on undimmed.

Its size and strength were contrary to anything human. Only by uniting their varied skills did they stand any hope, but even that may not prove enough. The frenzied fight wore on without any sign that the abomination could be stopped, wearing away hope alongside stamina. Some power beyond their own seemed required to contest such a warped corruption of nature.

But they fought on, unwilling to surrender the village and each other without leaving everything on the battlefield. Survival remained the sole objective - theirs, and that of all they strove to protect. The abomination's flesh ripped and tore under their assault, yet still it fought on as if undying. Rowan's blade sheared away chunks of corrupted muscle to expose gnarled bone beneath, only for the wounds to knit with nightmarish speed.

Elia brought the full wrath of her magic to bear, lashing the beast with crackling arcs of energy that scorched away skin and organs. But its ragged howls continued unabated, a grim reminder nothing they inflicted could defeat this foul entity of darkness.

Cadmon hurled his last spear with a roar of rage and frustration, sending it punching through an eye cavity. Ichor poured down the monster's face, yet still it maintained its murderous attacks without pause or care for injury.

The trio battled to the limits of endurance and beyond, fighting as one fluid unit executing a lethal, well-practiced dance. But for all their poise and precision, nothing they did seemed able to fell the abomination. Its body regenerated faster than they could damage it, shrinking the gap between their dwindling strength and its endless violence.

Hope and strength were leaching from the fighters along with lifeblood, yet still the monster pressed its assault without flagging. Its corruption rejected all natural laws of flesh and bone, rendering its form near-immortal to their human arms.

Unless some drastic change tipped the battle, this daemonic entity would outlast them through relentless purgation alone. But how does one defeat that which will not die...? Rowan flung himself backward, stumbling in exhaustion. His blade hung limply at his side; notches carved deep into the edge from futile strikes. Before him, the abomination loomed ever larger, talons raking bloody rents in the earth as it readied for the final blow.

His companions lay unmoving behind it, defenses shattered in the grueling duel. Now only Rowan barred the fiend from what remained of the village.

As the creature reared up to end him, Rowan knew only failure and death awaited. All their efforts had proven in vain against this corruption of the natural order.

Yet in that moment of blackest hopelessness, something stirred deep within the young swordsman - a Wellspring of power far beyond any mortal limits. Blue flames erupted along Rowan's form, searing away fatigue and injury alike. His eyes blazed with supernatural Light.

With a single heave, Rowan wrenched his blade from the dirt to point it shaking at the abomination. A pulse of energy like the heartbeat of the heavens shuddered down the length of shining steel.

"No more," Rowan intoned, voice echoing unnaturally. "You threaten all I hold dear for the last time, foul daemon." Divine power coalesced around the figure of the newly awakened godlike warrior, promising righteous vengeance against the darkness.

The monster reared back in alarm, sensing at last a force beyond anything in its experience. Rowan stood ready to defeat the unbeatable and end the terror, tapping reserves of might far greater than any human. Rowan moved with the grace and speed of an avenging deity, cosmic power wreathing his form. His sword sang through the air to sever brutal limbs from the abomination's body before it could react.

Black ichor spilled in torrents from socketed wounds, yet still the beast fought on tenaciously through new reserves of dark vitality. But now Rowan was its match and beyond - each blow struck with the force to level mountains removing yet more of its corrupted bulk.

A howl of torment shook the glade as Rowan slid between flailing talons to remove first one leg, then another. Deprived of balance, the abomination crashed down in a shower of loam and leaves. It sought to drag itself after its slayer on ruined limbs, broken yet undying.

With a cry like shattering glass, Rowan launched skyward before plunging down with blade-first. His strike sheared through thick plating and the monstrosity underneath, cleaving the beast in two smoking halves from crown to sternum.

A final thrash, and it stilled - the unholy animation fled from ravaged flesh at last. Rowan stood bathed in gore yet untouched, panting in the aftermath of his deity-like feat. Where a fallen shadow had oppressed the land, now sunlight seemed to shine anew through clouds of miasma dissipating on the wind. The nightmare was over, ended by a divine champion awakening. Peace was restored once more through his supremacy against the darkness, Rowan knelt amongst the corpse of the felled monster, strength fading as the last wisps of unnatural power dissipated. He had saved them all through manifesting reserves no mortal was meant to hold.

A groan alerted him that Cadmon and Elia still clung to life nearby, injuries severe yet mending. Relief swelled as he crawled to their sides, taking their hands in his own.

Elia's eyelids fluttered open, gazing up at Rowan with a smile. "You did it," she breathed. Joy and disbelief warred within her gaze shifting between Rowan's haggard form and the dismembered abomination. "The village is safe...because of you."

Rowan found the strength to return her smile, squeezing her hand gently. "We all played our part. But it is over now, and you are healed. That is victory enough for me."

Beside them, Cadmon grumbled in pain yet watched with newfound respect. "Our quarrel can wait for a time...friend." Rowan nodded, finding peace in the fragile boon of camaraderie against a greater darkness now banished.

The last tremors of a fading force rippled through battered bodies as tranquility seeped into bones once more. Their truce would hold while yet more mysteries of Rowan's destiny unveiled, but for now - the village was saved, love was reunited, and enemies made allies through facing terror as one. It was enough. Rowan embraced Elia gently, relieved beyond words to feel her warmth and living in his arms once more. So much had changed between them since first declaring his love in this very glen, yet that tender affection remained unchanged.

After a long moment, he pulled back to meet her gaze, fingers tracing the line of her cheek with utmost care. "Seeing you almost taken from me has reminded me of what is most important. I cannot bear to be parted from your side again, my heart."

Elia smiled faintly through tears, leaning into his touch. "Neither can I, my love. Where you go, I shall follow, whatever challenges await."

Rowan took a steady breath. "Then it would please me beyond measure if you would do me the honor of becoming my wife. I have no riches to offer but my sword and heart, pledged to your protection always."

A quiet sob escaped Elia's lips as she nodded, throwing her arms around his shoulders in a joyful embrace. "Nothing would make me happier, Rowan. I am yours, body and soul, until the end of my days and beyond."

He held her close, breathing in her sweet scent as happiness and relief flooded his spirit. Whatever mysteries of his nature remained to be uncovered, this assurance was enough - that they would journey them together, united in a bond no force in creation could sever. They had endured all to find this solace in one another, and nothing would take it from them again. Rowan held Elia in the circle of his arms, never wishing to be separated from her loving embrace again. She gazed up at him with adoring eyes, hands resting tenderly against his chest.

"You have been my strength and light throughout this long journey, my heart," Rowan said softly. "Where you walk, my path shall always lie."

Elia smiled through happy tears. "As mine shall beside yours, now and forever. There is no one in this world or beyond whom I would rather face whatever challenges come hand in hand with."

She leaned up to kiss him then, a sweet sealing of the vows between them. Rowan folded her closer, savoring the feel of her soft lips and the love in each caress.

When at last they parted, Elia laid her head against his shoulder with a contented sigh. "Our story is only beginning, my love. Each dawn shall be brighter having you by my side to share in life and whatever wonders it may bring."

Rowan pressed an affectionate kiss to her hair, holding her safe in the shelter of his arms. Beyond the grove, twilight gathered as another day drew to a close. But with Elia in his embrace and life's journey ahead, each dusk promised only the coming of new promise on wings of dawn. Their love would light the way, sealing hope eternal.