Chapter Twenty-Six: Go Home

"Go home," I whisper to my brother for the fifth time.

"I'm not leaving you, stop being so fucking bullheaded and realize you don't have to face this alone, August." the fight had irreversibly opened my eyes. He could have died because of me.

My baby brother could be buried right beside Angelina, because of the same man that had it out for me. I could let his blood be on my hands. He and May were the only people I had left. They were the only people in this world that understood me for me, I couldn't let that be taken away from me.

"Go home. Finish your schooling. I'm going to take her away from here, as far away as I can go until I figure something else out." I let my fingers weave in and out of her midnight silk-like hair as she slept in my lap. She had spoken a handful of words since this all happened, all of the progress she had been making went out of the window and I could tell her demons were holding her hostage again.

"Let me go with you, you need someone to watch your back." He pleaded, his eyebrows pulled together in worry and concern. 

"What I need is to know that you are safe, Archer. I need to know that whatever happens to me, you are safe." His jaw clenches and his fistball as his hips, he wasn't happy with me when he stormed out of the farmhouse but I would rather him be mad with me than be six feet under.

"He's not going to stop." Her voice was hoarse from lack of use and I glanced down at her as she lay there emotionlessly. "He doesn't like losing."

"He's not getting his way this time, May. I will burn this world down before he gets his hands back on you. We're going to leave until I come up with a plan." I couldn't think straight knowing that he could be waiting around every corner with his men armed, going to force her back to his side where he would no doubt find some cruel fucking way to make her pay for siding with me.

I needed to be able to breathe and think of a way to get rid of Daniel that didn't land me in prison, I wasn't scared to serve but it wasn't just Daniel at play here he had multiple means and what would stop them from coming after May after I killed him.

I knew if I soaked my hands again there wouldn't be any coming back from the demons inside my head, they would swallow me whole and never spit me out.

I would really belong in Mary Hill then. 

"Maybe I should just ..." Before she couldn't finish that thought I placed a finger to her lips and shook my head.

"Don't go there May, you aren't going back."

"It would save you all the trouble."

I couldn't stop my voice from rising, "You are worth every bit of it! This is nothing, leaving town if nothing compared to the thought of not being able to touch you, the thought of not being able to see you smile again. This is so minuscule that it doesn't even register with not having you right here where you belong. He doesn't get you both." the last sentence was whispered out with shame because while it wasn't about Angelina right now she still played a role in my reasoning. That bastard could have his life but he wasn't allowed to ruin another innocent one.

"My life isn't worth yours." She said turning her face so that she could stare directly into my eyes.

"My life is pointless without you in it."

~.~.~.~.~.~

It didn't take us long to pack up a week's worth of clothes and necessities. Leaving behind everything felt odd, it all felt so wrong. The farmhouse was home. I had just seen a friend from a long time ago for the first time, everything was coming together yet falling apart at the same time.

I lock the door, placing the key in the flower pot on the porch for Archer. He was standing in the yard, May engulfed in his arms, her legs dangling against his. They were laughing and crying at the same time, it brought a soft smile to my face.

An odd thought crossed my mind.

A thought I didn't love, but it settled something deep inside of me.

If anything happened to me, if Daniel got his way and I was locked up or his men murdered me, then May would have someone to love her.

Archer would be perfect for her.

The thought made me freeze momentarily, all I could do was stare at them as they said their goodbyes.

In a world where I didn't exist, they would thrive.

They would both never sleep alone, he would talk enough for the both of them. He would bring her out of her shell.

Maybe I was holding her back from what she needed.

I let the thought get so far as contemplating it, but then I remembered her words. 'I need someone I want. That's you August.'

I took in a deep sigh, I may be who she wanted but Archer would be who she needed if Daniel wasn't in the picture, but right now she needed safety. She needed me because I was willing to get my hands dirty for her, I was willing to drive myself mad to see her free again.

"Be careful, please. I don't want to be an only child." May's eyebrows raise in questioning, clearly remembering Sawyer and Killian.

"And your other brothers?"

He shrugs his shoulders, "I don't even like them that much."

I scoff at this, a smile bigger than the last taking its place.

"We're all going to be okay," I say with a firm nod of my head. "Keep an eye on Mama. If anyone stirs up any trouble call me."

I gave him the number to our burner phone, I was covering all of my bases and until I knew how to handle this whole situation I didn't want anyone following us. Sin, had a couple of burner phones on hand, for reasons I didn't ask. "If I don't answer call Sin, but under no circumstances do you call the police. You got that?"

I filled him in on everything that happened the night I was arrested, so he knew Daniel had his hands in with the police here.

Calling them wouldn't do any good, only cause more trouble.

"I got it, when you get to wherever you're going call me and let me know that you two are okay." I nod in confirmation before getting in my truck, May following close behind.

We drove away. I shouldn't have but i couldn't stop from looking in the rearview mirror as he faded away.

This would not be a goodbye.

I would see him again.

This was not a goodbye.

But why did it feel like one?

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Okay so I know it has been a long time since I updated this story but I have been busy with college and Christmas. 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and i will try to be better about updating in the future.