chapter 1 | night 1

Let's have a very merry ChristmasAnd a happy New Year (A happy new year)Filled with love and joy and happinessAnd lots of good cheer(I want you to have)A very merry Christmas (Oooh!)And a happy New Year (A happy new year)Filled with love and joy a...

And a happy New Year (A happy new year)
Filled with love and joy and happiness
And lots of good cheer
(I want you to have)
A very merry Christmas (Oooh!)
And a happy New Year (A happy new year)
Filled with love and joy and happiness
And lots of good cheer

'Sleigh Ride' by TLC blared throughout Noelle's townhome as she moved around her bedroom packing. She was running a bit behind schedule because once she returned home from her shift at the hospital, she took a much-needed nap and overslept, missing the two alarms she had set. She wasn't too upset with herself because she knew she needed the energy for her long drive down south. Christmas was a couple days away, and since today was her last day of work until the New Year, she was surprising her family early—instead of Christmas Eve like she normally would. She hasn't seen them in a while due to her crazy work schedule, so surprising them was only right. Everybody's gifts were already in the trunk of her car. She was excited, especially since this was her favorite holiday.

The emergency broadcast system warning alarms sounded from the 65'' TV that was mounted on the wall, which grabbed Noelle's attention. She paused her music at the touch of a button, giving the TV her full attention. She stood, listening to the emergency report. She couldn't help but grow sad the more the meteorologist and reporter spoke. There was a slim chance that surprising her family was a no-go. The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning.

"There's been a blizzard warning issued, often gusting at least 40 mph with snow falling and/or blowing, often lowering visibility to less than a quarter mile for three hours or longer. When severe winter weather is predicted or actually occurs, it is called a blizzard warning. Strong gusts, falling and blowing snow, and reduced visibility can result in whiteout conditions that make travel exceedingly challenging. Don't go anywhere. Bring along a winter survival kit if you must travel. If you become lost, remain in your car and wait for assistance to come."

Noelle sighed hard and turned the TV off before tossing the remote in annoyance. The news had just put a damper on her mood. She chewed her bottom lip as she contemplated her next move. It was really life and death at this point. Either she stays home and becomes sad about spending the holidays alone, or she makes her way down south. She shrugged and moved over to the window to peek outside.

The weather hadn't made its grand arrival yet, but she knew it was coming as she watched the small flurries fall from the sky. Stepping away from the window, Noelle quickly moved around her room to finish packing her large 28'' grey DKNY hard shell suitcase. She grabbed her black shopping Saint Laurent tote bag and threw everything from her work purse inside—making it a quick switch.

Once she had all her things packed and squared away, she made her way into her bathroom. As her feet padded against the marble floors, the bright LED lights popped on when the motion was detected. Quickly pulling off her oversized family reunion shirt, she pulled her long tresses into a claw clip and placed her gray shower cap on her head. Being that she didn't take a shower when she returned home due to her being sleepy, she was about to take a very quick shower. She wanted to be on the road before the snow started falling.