Crisis

"Welcome back!" Ashanti exclaims with a smile as I step into the store.

"Hi, ladies! 

Welcome back. How was the vacation?"

"It was great. It's always a good time when I get to go home and see family," I respond.

"We're so happy you enjoyed yourself. We're also happy that you're back," adds Zahara.

"I heard you ladies have been holding it down, and I'm so thankful for you," I say.

"It's easy to be a great employee when you have a great boss," says Olivia.

"Aww, thanks Liv," I reply.

📲The Williams Kids

Kev: Shan Shan have you talked to your parents

Shanice: No, why?

Kev: Dad's Factory is getting shut down, he's about to lose his job.

//

Okay ladies, we'll be having a meeting to catch up this week, but in the meantime, let's get to work. 

I make my way to my office, As I step inside, I take a deep breath and sit down at my desk, feeling the weight of the chair beneath me. I try my best to focus on the tasks at hand, but my mind keeps wandering to the events of the past few days. It's hard to wrap my head around it - my parents have suddenly stopped talking to me. After my mom, I used to be the first person my dad would share something like this with, but now we barely speak. I want a relationship with my parents, and I'm honestly so drained from all the curveballs this relationship keeps throwing at me, at us.

I'm still unsure why Daniel told my dad. Although I haven't asked him yet, I trust him and know he wouldn't have done it intentionally to hurt me. However, a part of me wishes he had discussed it with me first since it's such a big deal.

I log onto my computer to check my emails. I've been using Daniel's links for almost everything. I'm finding a bigger space here regarding business, and I think I've finally found an online school to start my business degree. I need to complete these things now more than ever, considering that my parents are both unemployed, and I don't want them to spend their savings to survive.

2 pm

As my mind reached its peak of exhaustion from work, I decided to take a break and do something that truly mattered - call my parents.

📲calling Momma Bear ❤️❤️

Hello.

Hi mommy, 

how are you, Shanice?

I'm calling to check on you guys. Kev told me that Dad was about to lose his job.

"Yes, they are shutting down the factory. they don't see the need for it now with how advanced times are."

"Why didn't you guys tell me?"

"I'm trying to respect your dad's wishes, Shanice."

So you guys are just not going to talk to me for the rest of my life?

I don't condone your relationship with this man Shanice, me tell uh dat aready but me nah guh stap talk to you because of a man, me just think its best fi give you some space fi figure out your life, dats all

Since when though? We're a family that talks things out, we ano the type fi give each otha space 

Shanice your father says he doesn't want me to tell you because he doesn't want your blood money, as his wife, I respect that

Even if you guys don't want mine you could still tell me, yuh not even a check fi see if me alive , like unno nuh care again

I'm sorry that you've gotten the impression that we don't care, but dat ano tru like me say befo we just need fi give the whole situation some time, yes we've never done it before but there's a first time for everything.

unno alrite otherwise?

yes, we're fine 

me affi get back to work. Bye.

//

Why did you tell my dad?

Huh?

In Jamaica, you told my dad about your dad...why?

I just wanted to be honest with him

But don't you think you should've spoken to me about it first?

I didn't plan on telling him, I made a judgment call in that moment..

Maybe telling him wasn't the best idea

Babe, what's going on?  I just walked in and you're already bombarding me with all these questions, you haven't even kissed me yet..

Daniel. I found out today that my dad lost his job. Usually when things like this happen, he tells my mom and then they both tell me. Then, we all sit down and talk to Kev, and the twins, together. This time, Kev and the twins told me before my parents did. I feel like my parents are cutting me out of their life and it's bothering me. I've always been very close to my parents and you know I value family a lot. I thought I could handle taking some space from them, but I can't.  I can't live my life without them.

I am sorry that you are hurting, and I should have talked to you about it beforehand. I don't want to cause any trouble between you and your family, and if there is anything that I can do to make it right, I will do it in a heartbeat. I hate that you are hurting, and I know that my actions are at the root of it. Your parents are just shocked and they're  hurting too, but they will never cut you out of their lives. Please let me know how I can fix this. I will try to get your dad a new job if that's what it takes.

Daniel, they don't want your help, my daddy didn't tell me because he didn't want "blood" money, I don't know how to fix this, right now my parents just don't want us together

Babe, I love you.

I know, I love you too

I love you so much that if my not being in your life will fix your relationship with your parents then I won't be in your life

What?

I don't want our relationship to take you from the people you love,

So you're just going to give up on us?

I'm willing to do whatever that'll make you happy

Do you know what will make me happy? Having both you and my parents in my life, getting along...

How do we achieve that?

I have no idea but us breaking up isn't a solution

My top is practically soaked from all the tears that have dripped off my chin, Daniel moves from his kneeling position and sits beside me, taking me into a hug, he kisses my forehead and reassures me that everything will be okay.