Chapter 4: The Heart Of A Pig.

Turn right to Venus's Clubhouse. 7 PM.

10 pages left.

'Few steps away, Eurydice had stepped on a nest of snakes and had been bitten...'

Course fingers wedge an almost-invisible wire between where the pages are binded, a makeshift bookmark but not the worst thing he's used. 

All this reading makes a certain thirst rise. 

Charles snaps shut the thin novel, adjusting himself in his leather seat, hiding it in the safety of a glove department before starting the engine. His car was running out of gas. Two more trips and it'll need a refill fast.

He does a mini-check on himself in the rear-mirror, leaning back and widening his eyes to the max, as he uses his fingers and gently pinches out the soft lenses out of each eye. The amber eye-contacts on the tip of his finger glint in the setting sun rays before Charles disposes them into a wrinkly paper bag nearby. 

Note to self: Buy more paper bags.

Then he swiftly pulls out an eyedropper and squeezes a fresh droplet into each eye. Blinking hard at the minty feeling spreading through his eye-sockets, he breathed out slowly and squints at the last stretch of sunlight across his dashboard. 

It's time.

⊹ ⋆ ⊹ ⋆ ⊹ ⋆

Moving streaks of vibrant pinks and blue light shower people from above, the soft lemon scent mixing with a smokiness in the air makes for a welcome as the bodyguards happily beckoned Charles into the booming nightclub, more spacious than the library he visited.

Despite being new in town, he felt many looks thrown his way in interest and some interested but nobody seemed to dare to, or want to, approach him when the DJ hits the next song— pulling in rounds of applause and hollars as people forget about him.

He settles into a circular seat at the mostly empty bar counter, ordering himself a random non-alcoholic drink and downing it fast. Refreshing. He paid the young bartender using a twenty.

"Wow you look like a movie star from this side angle, Charles Bergstein." A sharp feminine voice calls from closeby.

"You know who I am?" He turns to give a lighthearted suspicious look to the shorter girl as she boldly saunters near and takes the empty seat next to him.

She playfully sips her gradient glass, her blonde brows pushing up against the other like an upside-down V. "Hard not to, Mr Bergstein." She intoned cheerfully, putting aside her drink further on the countertop and leaning against it. "I'm Jenna by the way."

"Everyone's been talking about you and now I can see why. I'm so glad I caught you first, City boy." In an instance of a flashing light, his face cringes at the pet name but relaxes fast when Jenna's catlike gaze meets his again.

"City boy? I'll have you know, it's been a long time since I've been a boy." 

Jenna rolls her eyes quickly while scoffing in the hard-core music, Charles caught that look as he slowly gives his empty glass to throw bartender. 

"Mr Bergstein?" She clears her throat above the music, his grey eyes, shielded in an array of colours from the lights, shifts onto her questioning. 

He doesn't think he has time for any... Other activities but getting to know one more person here would be beneficial. 

"Now I feel ancient when you call me that," Charles forces out a natural chuckle, running his hand through the side of his thick swept-back hair which the girl's eyes follow eagerly.