Chapter 4

Deepak had not told Cindy anything about his past-- the story of his falling apart from someone whom he considered his soulmate once. They rightly say "don't dip your pen into the company ink," which, in the corporate lingo, means avoiding any romantic relationship at the workplace. Deepak and Seema had joined an MNC together at the same level. Deepak was performing well in the marketing research department, and everyone thought that he would soon be the Team Leader of his six-member team. Seema and Deepak shared a cab together and gradually became close to each other since they were going through the same high and low points of office tension of keeping the client delighted on a regular basis. Colleagues tend to understand each other in such matters and can share their feelings, frustrations with them only. And this globally connect work environment, everyone needs a shoulder to cry on once in a while. Such small incidents often lead to relationships that are mutually reciprocated.

Once Seema overheard someone in the HR saying that their manager was moving overseas to join some other company and now Deepak is likely to take charge. She got so excited that she could not keep herself from sharing this news with Deepak on their way back in the office cab they shared.

"Deepak, you're going to treat me after what I am going to tell you. First, tell me where will you give me the treat? I want a Five-star treat," said Seema with an intriguing smile.

"You mean that Five Star chocolate," replied Deepak with a chuckle.

"Shut up! I mean a treat at a Five-star restaurant," replied Seema a little irritably.

"First tell me what is it all about?" asked Deepak.

"You getting promoted to TL," Seema blurted out, overwhelmed with emotion.

"Really, how do you know it?" asked Deepak with surprise.

"I had gone to HR to submit my bills, and I heard the HR manager discuss it with the VP over the phone, though I couldn't hear what the VP was saying.

Deepak, overpowered by emotions of joy, ended up kissing Seema in the backseat of the cab. Seema, though a little hesitant, did resist a little but finally gave in. Feelings were mutual at that moment. Nothing could have pleased Seema more than the fact that someone she likes and knows well will be leading her team Seema, though she was not exactly in love with Deepak at that time. But once the fire is lit in a young heart and the right conditions are in place to fan it, love doesn't take long to blossom. Both were head over heels in love with each other for a month that followed. They dated each other in the best of restaurants in Delhi NCRs, visited temples ad Gurdwaras together, took pictures with monument in the backdrop. Little did they know that all this is going to end on such a bitter note, scarring both of them mentally. ...