Chapter 10

Next day the major took Liz to the regiment's firing range, which was inside the army encampment.

"Always hold this howdah pistol with both your hands," said the Major to Liz while standing in front of the wooden target, which was not more than 10 feet from her. "Now spread your legs."

"Humm. What are you saying?" replied Liz with a giggle.

"You heard me. Spread your legs and then maintain a stable posture by slightly leaning forward with your knees bent and ensuring balance," replied the major in an authoritative tone.

Liz did as she was asked.

"Now squeeze the trigger that is behind."

Liz pulled the trigger and the bullet hit the torso of the wooden body.

"Now aim for the head and pull the trigger that is ahead of the first trigger."

Liz did the same and this time missed the target.

"It's alright. We will practise more tomorrow. But remember you must pull the trigger behind first and then the one that is ahead of the first trigger. This avoids firing both the barrels at the same time, which can throw your hands off balance."

After practice, they both sat inside the officer's club where the major ordered a couple of club sandwiches for both, a small drink for himself and a pineapple pastry for Liz . Once they finished off the food, they went for a tour of the encampment.

The Major's Gurkha orderly brought his horse soon afterwards. It was the same young Gurkha boy who had saved her the other day during their trek to Jakhu Hills. He smiled and said, "Salam Memsahib!" to Liz who smiled back.

The Major asked Liz to sit first on the horseback. Once she was seated comfortably, the major sat behind her on the same saddle and took the reins from the Gurkha boy. The Gurkha orderly gave a salute to which the major nodded his head and moved on.

On their way home, every time the horse jumped she fell back on the major's lap. Halfway to the Major's residence, she could feel that she was falling now on his crotch and feel his member that had hardened. She felt a little uneasy. The major took a route that was short and deserted.

"Hope you enjoyed the training," asked the major as they both got down at the residence.

"Oh yes! It was very nice of you to take me out on a tour," replied Liz. The Major returned to the enacmapment soon, as the ayah looked on.

"How was you training?" asked the Ayah.

"It was nice. It's just that I am not much interested in firearms. But I guess I need to learn it for my ownn safety," replied Liz.

The ayah was curious to know what happned between them besides the shooting exercise. She sounded a little jealous when she said: 

"The major seems to have taken a liking for you. Maybe you are soon going to receive a marriage proposal from him. But think before you act. That's all I would say, though it's none of my business. " 

" Oh no, Ihope not. He is way older than I am. I look up to him as my patron. All I am expected to do is to take care of his child's education."

"Well, I think that is something he has entrutsed me to. But yes, you are his son's own blood. But let me tell you that I can introduce you to young officers a little older than you who can be a suitable match for you. That is if you like and the major approves of."

"What is there for the major to approve of? It's my life, it's going to be my decision," replied Liz.

"Liz, you are young but I guess you realize that this comfortable life that we enjoy is solely due to our men's position in society. That many can be your brother in law, your master or husband. Be careful when you decide. In youth, we take rash decsions to regret for a lifetime. We are nothing without our men. In fact, we are so vulnerable without their protection." 

to be contd.