Chapter 6

Now we move to Shimla again where Deepak is at present.

Love and relationships in India and the West, in the context of gender equality, are quite different due to varying cultural norms and societal expectations. In India, traditional values and arranged marriages are still prevalent in many regions, which can sometimes lead to unequal power dynamics between men and women in relationships. However, there is a growing trend towards more egalitarian relationships and gender equality, especially in urban areas but that often leads to its own set of problems. And that arises more commonly when a newly wed couple would decide to share the roof with the husband's family. Also, if the woman does better professionally, men can't generally take it normally—their ego is bruised.

In the magnificent promenade of Shimla when the dawn broke on the horizon, Cindy and Deepak were having a conversation about love and relationships in different cultural contexts. It was Deepak's second crush in life, something he wanted to cling on after burning his fingers due to the ego clash in the cutthroat world of competition for promotions and pay scales.

Cindy: "Deepak, I've always been curious about love and relationships in different cultures. How do you see the concept of love in India, the country that produced Kamasutra, an outstanding treatise on lovemaking?"

Deepak: "Well, Cindy, in India, love often intertwines with tradition and family expectations. Arranged marriages have been the norm so far, where compatibility was determined solely by parents and families. However, things have been changing ever since English education was introduced in India. Many young couples, especially in cities, now seek love marriages, wherein they go for personal compatibility and emotions rather than what the family would think. Of course, the parents and families matter."

Cindy: "That's interesting. How does gender equality play a role in relationships in India now in your generation? Let's say how comfortable will you be if you are in a relation with an equally qualified woman, and she outperforms you in the company?"

Deepak was surprised at the question, "Why are you asking this? Did you hear anything about me from someone?"

Now Cindy was a little taken aback, "No, no, I heard nothing from anyone about you. It was just a normal question about life partnership on equal terms. Why are you so worked up? My contract with your company was just for a month wherein I was supposed to train people on customer behaviour in Europe. I have already done it and even received the payment for it. Now I am on my own project, which is to know India. If you are not comfortable asking me this, it's alright."

"Sorry, I overreacted due to something that had happened recetly with me. So, please forgive me."

"It's alright. Shall we go for a cup of tea, then," Cindy said with a smile while they continued to walk.

Deepak got nervous for a while but soon he regained his composure and put the ball in Cindy's court.

Deepak: Ok let me ask you about England where I have never been. How about man woman relationship there?

Cindy: "In England, relationships seem more individualistic, if you ask me. In my country, love and relationships are often more about personal choice. People have the freedom to date and marry whomever they choose, based on their feelings and compatibility. It's a more practical approach, I would say."

Deepak: "How about gender equality in England?"

Cindy: "England has made significant progress in terms of gender equality. Women's rights are well-established, I would say. There's a strong emphasis on equal opportunities, which has influenced relationships to be more balanced in terms of power and responsibilities. I mean that's how I see it."

Deepak: "Cindy, what do you think about an intercultural relationship? Will that not be wonderful? Of course, that would come with its own share of challenges."

Cindy: " Well you tell me, Deepak, as an English woman, if I were to fall in love with someone from India, what challenges do you think our relationship might face?"

Deepak: "Why don't you fall in love with me and see it for yourself."

They both just laughed and laughed till they reached the tea stall.

With tea cups in their hands they went near the old church building, which is a kind of landmark for this hill station. 

"So, are you still trying to find out about Tantra sex that you talked about in the party where we first met," asked Deepak.

Cindy's gaze jumped up from her tea cup to Deepak's face in wonderment.

"What? When did I tell you that?" she said with a look of surprise on her face.  

"Oh, you don't rememember. Forget it, then."

Cindy's shock gave way to a smile that lit up her beautiful face.

"Well, I wish to learn and practice it. It's just that I do not remember when I told you that," she said in her sing-song voice.

"Practice it with whom?" asked Deepak a little amazed.

"Certainly not with you," she replied bursing into gigles.  

To be contd..