Chapter Thirty four

Jennie

Even with as tired as I am, I can't sleep. I walk around my room, running my fingers over everything on the shelves and enjoying the familiarity of my space.

When I stumble across my bag I unpack my things from inside it, setting the cans of food aside. I linger over the battered paperback copy of Romeo and Juliet, thinking fondly of the way that Y/N's eyes had lit as she listened to the story.

And there I am thinking about her again.

I stow the book away on the shelf along with my other books, most of them crappy airplane paperbacks I've scavenged over the last few years.

I tuck it in after the last book I read, a vampire romance called Unstake My Heart and then I stick the photo of Y/N in between the pages for safekeeping. Maybe all those supernatural books have gotten to me, if I'm starting to develop a crush on a Corpse.

Clearly I need some fresh air. I walk to the balcony doors and shove them open, grateful for the surge of cool night air that rushes in. I break out in gooseflesh but it feels good so I step out onto the cement pad and lean against the iron railing.

All of Haven is stretched out before me, brown and gray, speckled with little glittering lights of patrols and campfires.

It's not the most beautiful place, nothing like the colourful bookshop where Y/N lives, but it's home. It's where I belong.

"Jennie."

The hushed shout startles me and I straighten up, leaning over the rail to look down at the source of the voice.

It can't be... But there, standing on the little patch of dying grass that serves as our lawn, is a familiar figure in a brown and black jacket and jeans. Even with the hood up I can see those prominent cheekbones and plaintive puppy eyes.

"Y/N, what are you doing here?" I hiss frantically. I immediately look around for any sign of patrols nearby but we're safe for the moment.

"Had to s-see you," Y/N answers, shuffling her feet.

Weirdly, I felt my cheeks heated up, ugh this stupid, sweet Corpse... "It's not safe for you here," I tell her.

From the room beside mine I hear Jisoo shout, "Jennie, are you okay?"

"Fine," I call back into the room, my anxiety shooting through the roof. Twisting back to Y/N, I continue, "The people here aren't like me. They'll kill you, Y/N."

"I know," Y/N says unconcernedly. And no, my heart doesn't leap at that. Not at all. Just like I'm not in denial. "H-had to see you."

My bedroom door opens and panic explodes in my chest.

"Seriously, Jennie, are you okay? Are you talking to yourself?"

Before I can gesture for Y/N to hide or something, Jisoo steps out onto the balcony behind me. Her gaze follows mine and her eyes widen almost comically as she staggers into the wall.

"Oh-wait, is that-?" Jisoo turns to me questioningly. "Is that her?"

"Yeah, that's her," I admit weakly, because what else can I do at this point?