Chapter 2: Before Ever After part 2

Edith's POV:

After me and Rupunzel came back from town, we went to my sister's room to find Cassandra waiting for us. "Let me guess, big day on the town wasn't all you'd hoped it'd be?" Cassandra asked when she saw the glum look on Rupunzel's face.

"It was...interesting." Rupunzel responded as Pascal gave Cass a thumbs down.

"Uh-huh, I bet." Cass said looking quite concerned.

"I just wish my dad would let me get out and see the real world." Rupunzel complained.

"You know, if you really wanted, me and the little warrior could get you in and out of here before anyone even knew we were gone." Cassandra said.

"Yes, it's true that me and Cass know a handful of ways to leave the castle. So we can sneak you out." I said with a grin on my face.

"You mean that you can sneak me out at night." Rupunzel asked.

"Exactly. What you two do when no one's looking is your business." Said Cass. I put my hand on my chest, "my pendant it's gone." I said.

"Huh?" Said Cass and Rupunzel.

"what does it look like?" Cass asked.

"It's a circle, silver, it has a crescent moon on it, and it's a compass." I said.

"No, haven't seen it." Rupunzel, and Cass said.

"We can look for it if you want." Rupunzel asked.

"no. The banquet is soon, so we don't have enough time. And I'll look for it later." I said

"The royal banquet is ready to receive the princesses now." The messenger said behind the door.

"Cheer up Raps, Ei. Hey, maybe your dad got someone to chew your food for you two." Cass teased.

At the banquet:

The seating arrangements were pretty normal except for Eugene's seat. Who was seated with the five year olds. As Cassandra past she whispered something in Eugene's ear. Whatever she said did not make Eugene any happier than before.
"I don't understand why you're so upset, sweetheart's. I said you two could do whatever you wanted. That's what you did." Dad said confused.

"You didn't mention a battalion following us everywhere we go" I said

"Why would I need to? You're royalty, making a public appearance." Dad said rather sternly.

"But, Dad-" Rupunzel's was interrupted by Eugene who tapped the fork against the glass.

"Ladies and gentlemen, dukes and duchesses, barons and baronesses, marquis and, you know, the female version of those, may I share a moment of history with you? Princess, would you join me up here?" Eugene said, I raised my brow in suspicion wondering where he was going with this.

"Tonight, we celebrate our love for the princess. I can think of no better way to celebrate the love I have for this woman than this." Eugene continued as he knelt down on one knee. I was shocked, I knew that Eugene was going to propose to Rupunzel, but I never thought it was going to be this soon.

"Oh, Eugene! Wait, did you drop something?" Rupunzel asked Eugene in concern. "No. Rapunzel,"Said Eugene pulling out the ring. "From the moment I first met you, and you knocked me out with that frying pan, I knew it was love. You're my light. You're my best friend and I want to be your partner in all things. I can't wait to laugh with you and share with you. I see us raising our children here. And our children's children. And celebrating banquets of our own in this very hall for many, many, many, many years to come. I want to ride our horses to the Corona wall together, each and every morning, until we're both very, very... old and grey. I love you, Rapunzel. And I want to spend the rest of our lives here, together." Eugene ranted. "Here, in this... castle, ...forever?" Rupunzel asked. Then I realized Rupunzel is not ready for a lifetime commitment. "I mean, unless you want to rent, but I hardly see how we'll top this. I want to spend the rest of my life with you here. It doesn't get any better than this, this castle" Eugene said looking hopeful. Rupunzel was looking around panicked until she finally said, "I love you, Eugene, but... I can't. Just not, not now. Um...I need some air." Rupunzel said sadly, and left the dining hall, leaving a disappointed Eugene.