Let the Games Begin

Travis very publicly threw down the gauntlet a few days later on some football show. "I told her that I've seen her rock a stage in Arrowhead and she might have to come see me rock the field." Taylor rolled her eyes at that one. A bit heavy handed, but it set up her planned "surprise" appearance at his game that week.

"Baby, let the games begin," Taylor said to herself as she deplaned in Kansas City.

It was strange for her to be back at the stadium she'd been performing at just a few months prior. She loved being on tour. While almost anyone else might think performing for 80,000 people was daunting, she felt alive in that stadium. Having a stadium full of people not only understand, but love her through the songs she'd written about her own heartbreaks was incredible. But this wasn't her tour, this was a Chiefs game.

Every person in the stadium seemed to be buzzing about Taylor Swift's appearance, and that's exactly what Taylor wanted. She had on a KC Chiefs windbreaker that Tree had picked up for her that morning, tags still on. She was a Chiefs as of... an hour ago. She hadn't been to a football game in years and was actually looking forward to it beyond the photo opportunities: the cheering, the chicken fingers, and having absolutely no control over the game. It was liberating.

She'd requested to be sat with Travis' mom. Moms are safe and moms usually love Taylor.

"Welcome Taylor," Donna said, bringing her in for a hug. "Travis has been all quiet about you! Unlike him. You're going to have to give me the scoop on you two."

Taylor's stomach fell. They'd discussed telling their closest friends the truth about their situation, but Travis wasn't sure about his mom. He was afraid she wouldn't approve of a fake relationship, but he knew he couldn't lie to her. It seemed Donna was still under the impression they were really dating.

"Damn it, Travis," Taylor thought to herself. Great, now she was going to have to be the one to break it to Mama Kelce. Or maybe she could stick with the truth and just leave out some things. A win-win?

"It's still so early; we're just friends! But I so appreciate your hospitality. Everyone's been so welcoming. And I can't wait for a good game," Taylor smiled. Okay, phew, no lies there.

"And we're so happy to have you! Travis really is a good boy, but you let me know if I ever need to have a talk with him. But he's loved you for years. I can't see him messing that up being stupid!" Donna laughed. Taylor blushed.

The two women found a lot they had in common, particularly a penchant for baking. Donna didn't feel too different from Taylor's own mom, Andrea, which put Taylor at ease. As the game progressed, the announcers couldn't resist nonstop references to her songs. She cheered loudly when Travis scored a touchdown and definitely felt more like a cheer captain than she ever had before. She was playing a part, but it was a fun part to play. Travis was looking up at her from the field with stars in his eyes; he was good at this. This was turning out to be one of her better ideas; at least where relationships were concerned.

"What did you think?" Travis busted into the suite after the game. Okay, maybe he didn't "bust in," but his ability to immediately fill a room took some getting used to.

"That was great. And you won! Well done," Taylor said.

"Yeah, I planned that. I paid off some guys," Travis smiled.

"Smart, that was a good move."

"Thank you. I'm very smart. How was Mom?"

"Lovely," Taylor said.

"She always is. And now? Afterparty," he grinned impishly.

"Afterparty?" Taylor asked.

"I'm not going to spoil it. Follow me."