Drunk on Jealousy

Their grand plans of going out slipped through their fingers as a "quick bite" turned into "one more round" turned into "ooh what's that table having?" turned into "should we get espresso martinis?" They were tucked into a quiet corner of the hotel's exclusive restaurant, candlelit and with an incredible view of the Sydney Opera House across the wharf.

Taylor had missed this. The month they hadn't spoken was miserable, but even the last few weeks of long distance, although fun, paled in comparison to sitting across from him. His smile was infectious and he had the wildest stories, a few that rivaled even her own craziest nights. She loved that he never changed for others. His easy smile was never fake, and even his more boisterous side was always genuine. He was always kind and respectful, but he truly did not care what others thought. What was the opposite of a pathological people pleaser? A people "displeaser" wasn't right - people loved him and he loved people. He was so happy to take a photo with a fan and entertain even the weirdest football plays random people came up with. While his fame didn't have much weight abroad, their waiter was now an enormous Kelce fan. Travis had somehow convinced the man to sign up for a free trial of the NFL Game Pass to watch the games from Australia. Taylor just sat back and watched, amused. This was such a departure from any guy she'd dated previously; the other guys would be polite enough to fans (theirs and hers), but really wanted to be left alone. Travis, though? Everyone was a friend he hadn't met yet.

"How're you so good with strangers?" she asked.

"What do you mean?"

"You're so friendly, even if they're interrupting you mid-bite."

Travis thought for a moment, "You're good with strangers too. I've seen you jump out of a car to take a photo with a fan."

"That's true," Taylor mused.

"I just remember being that kid. If I had met one of my idols as a kid? I'd have lost it. It would've made my entire life. I promise you young Travis would not have given a damn about interrupting anyone. He was a menace. And it's such a big deal to a kid! I don't want them leaving disappointed because I had a stick up my butt about something. And like 99 times out of 100, people are super nice and just want a photo," Travis said.

Taylor swatted him across the arm, "Right? That's exactly what I think!"

"Cool sexy geniuses think alike, as they say," Travis shrugged.

"That's not quite what they say," Taylor said critically.

"Close enough," Travis laughed.

A few hours and several drinks in, Taylor excused herself to run to the bathroom. When she started heading back, she saw a very attractive brunette talking to Travis at their table. Taylor held back to watch this unfold. Travis was his typical friendly self, throwing his arm around her for a selfie, and then the woman handed him a piece of paper. The young woman left, looking back to give him a (Taylor thought EXTREMELY flirty) wave. Taylor inadvertently clenched her fists as she walked back.

"Oh? Who was that?" Taylor doing everything in her drunken power to not appear rattled.

"A lovely Sheila..." Travis did a poor Australian accent and waggled his eyebrows, "... who gave me her number. She said I was a 'beaut." He sat back very smugly.

"Oh?" Taylor's voice rose an octave. If this was a cartoon, she'd have crushed her glass in her grip. What could she say though? They weren't dating; they weren't even fake dating anymore. Rumors of them "getting back together" were sure to spiral up now that Travis had been spotted at her show, but the original agreement was null and void. He could do whatever he wanted. "She looked pretty," Taylor said through a very forced smile. She'd had enough drinks at this point to have no hope of a convincing poker face.

"Yeah, and you know, I am a free agent..." Travis trailed off. Taylor's jealousy was radiating off her and Travis loved it. He knew he wasn't going to call that woman, but he could let Taylor squirm a little. "Unless someone were to put me under contract..."

"Damn you," Taylor seethed. Taylor had a long list of things she'd like to do Travis, if she could trust herself not to fall head over heels for the guy. The thought of another woman doing any of the things on her list made her want to scream.

"What was that?" he said, teasing.

Taylor took a deep breath. This was probably a bad idea, but at this point, she did not care. She began, "I have a proposal."

Travis raised his eyebrows, "I'm listening."

"Since you're a 'free agent,' how about an exhibition match. Or a preseason game, I guess," she asked.

Travis was, understandably, confused by the messy metaphors. "Gonna have to spell it out for me, Blondie."

"One night only. My hotel room. No feelings," she warned. Now THAT Travis understood.

"Deal."

"Deal? You don't need any more convincing?" she asked incredulously. "What about last time? All those feelings?"

"I promise to shut the fuck up," Travis grinned devilishly.

"This whole time? I just had to ask?"

"Yup."

Taylor clapped her hand over her face, "You're exhausting, you know that? Now please wheel yourself up to my room before I change my mind."

Travis very happily saluted her, and made his way to the elevator banks. Taylor had never seen him move so fast.