The Bird in A Cage

Ahn Hyoseop, The Popular Actor.  The headlines that can be found anywhere.  He reached this level, finally.  His role as Seo Woojin in Romantic Doctor Season 2 was loved by many people that turned them to be his fans.  He's glad about that fact.  But on the other hand, he felt some burden.

He felt like he was living in a cage.  He can't do anything he wants without getting his manager's consent.  Even for a casual outing at a bar with his friends that he usually does.  "You can meet them at your house.  Or their house, whatever.  Just don't do it at the bar," Minju, his manager, warned him.  "And, please, stay away from the girls.  Don't you dare to make me busy for no reason, like you did last time!"

"Here we go again," Hyoseop sighed.  Minju always brought that story whenever she wanted.  And the memory from that night will reappear following her words.

***

That was when he drove Sejeong home.  They arrived safely.  Sejeong said goodbye before entering the building, and Hyoseop left.  But not that safe until Minju ranted at him the day after that.  "Is that you?" Minju showed some photos of his car in front of a building and a girl got out of the car.  Someone sent those photos to the company and asked for confirmation about what was happening.  She is sure that it was Hyoseop's car, but she needs to confirm whether Hyoseop drove his own car, or if one of his friends did it last night.

"Noona, you know that Jihyo and I are bestfriends.  Something happened to her last night, and Sejeong was there with her."

"So the girl was Sejeong? That 'God' Sejeong?" Minju was surprised.  She never thought that Hyoseop had a chance to meet her.

Hyoseop nodded.  "You should know that Sejeong and Jihyo are also bestfriends.  She helped us to take care of Jihyo.  And it just happened that way."

"Okay, I trust you.  Let's tell them that you just had a night out with some friends, and you drove Sejeong home as your home and hers are in the same direction."

"You can tell it to them.  It's a fact, anyway."

"Okay, I'll take care of it.  Now, Hyoseop, please listen to me," Minju is being so serious.  "Promise me, you won't cause any trouble in the future.  Please, stay away from anything that can ruin your career.  You know that, just a small rumour can be a big distraction for an actor like you.  So, please, in the meantime, you should stay away from the girls.  You should just focus on your career.  I'll do my best to help you," Minju convinced him.

Hyoseop just froze out and didn't give any response to her.  His expression was unreadable.  Minju took his silence as a yes, and went back to her office to have a deal with that someone who sent them the photos.

***

Hyosesop got excited when the doorbell rang.  "It must be them," he spoke within himself when he opened the door.

"What's up?" Jackson entered the house and gave Hyoseop a high five.

"Are you by yourself?"

"Woo-ya told me to leave first, he had to do another thing with their group."

GOT7 and SF9, Seokwoo's group, had the same show to attend today.  Jackson and Seokwoo planned to come over to Hyoseop's house after they wrapped it up.  It's been a long time since their last outing, thanks to their packed schedules.

"You bought new furniture?" Jackson pointed at a sealed big box, as big as a coffee table next to it.

"I didn't.  Those are just some albums."

"Whose albums?" Unbidden, Jackson approached and opened the box before he unpacked it.  The things he saw right after that made him gasp.  "Plant, Kim Sejeong? Waaa you're such a big spender!" Jackson clapped his hands.  "Her company should give you a special gift at this point!" He stood.  "Speaking of which, you never did that to me! You never spent this much on our albums! Are you really my best friend?" He chased Hyoseop down and played around until the doorbell rang.

Hyoseop sighed.  Saved by the bell, literally.  He opened the door to see Seokwoo grinning at him.  "Hyung, I miss you so much!"

Click!

Hyoseop heard a shutter sound from the corner where Jackson stood and found him enjoying taking pictures of a pile of Sejeong's albums.

"Hyung! Stop it!" Hyoseop scolded Jackson.

"Why? It's so cute that I can't hold myself to take the picture and keep it in my memory."

"Well, just keep it only in your memory, then.  Don't share it with others."

Seokwoo joined them and gasped after seeing the things in front of him.

"Look at him," Jackson laughed.  "Everyone will have the same reactions when they look at it.  The popular actor, Ahn Hyoseop, spent this much money on Kim Sejeong's album.  Everyone will jump to the same conclusion.  You are crazy, man!" He made fun of Hyoseop.

Hyoseop walked to the couch and sat.  He reached a can of beer in front of him and sipped it, while Jackson and Seokwoo were still hyping about the albums.

Ding!

Hyoseop checked his phone.  A new message on their group chat.  Jackson sent a photo of him frowning in front of that big box.

● Jackson
"Look at this! He never spent this much on our albums 😔"

"Hyung! I told you not to tell anyone," Hyoseop ranted at him.

"They're not just anyone," Jackson rolled his eyes.

Seokwoo followed Hyoseop and sat beside him.  "I thought you've ended your fanboying era."

"I never said it," He shrugged.  "It's different from 'that thing' that I've decided to end that time."

Seokwoo tried to connect the dots.  "Aaah," He nodded.  "That's a good decision.  You'd better focus on your career for now."

"You acted like Minju noona!"  Hyoseop smirked and looked away at Jackson.  "Hey, hyung, are you gonna count up the albums one by one? Come, join us!"

"I still can't believe it!" Jackson grabbed a can of beer and opened it.  "I wonder what Sejeong would say if she saw it by herself!"

"She will never know," Hyoseop is so confident, until a new message came into their group chat.

● Jihyo
"Oppa, Sejeong's so happy to see that.  She wants to say thanks to you in person.  When will you have time?"

Hyoseop gave his deadly sight to Jackson.  "That's why I told you to keep the photos by yourself!"

"What will you do, hyung?" Seokwoo felt curious. 

"Do I have a choice? I will refuse it, of course," It gave a lump in his throat.

● Hyoseop
"Tell her, I'm just doing my hobby.  She doesn't need to thank me.  I don't have time to see her."

● Jihyo
"That's harsh!😭"

● Nayeon
"You're so cruel! Don't pass his words to Sejeong, Jihyo!"

Hyoseop put his phone down while it's still beeping.  He's so desperate that he doesn't want to know how it goes on after that.  Deep down in his heart, he felt so excited and wanted to say yes to Sejeong's offer.  But it's not that simple.

"Please just focus on your career!" Minju's words stuck in his head.  He leaned against the couch's back and closed his eyes.  He regretted the words that he sent in the group chat previously.  He wished he had more courage to do all the things he wants.

***

🧚‍♂️Author's note

I hope you enjoy this chapter.  The first three chapters are lack of lovey dovey scenes, aren't they?  I planned to start adding them from the fourth chapter.  Please look forward to it! Thank you 😉