1- Death in an Alley

It's been three weeks since I became a police officer in Gotham City. It's been three years since my pursuit to be a cop. And even longer since I've been to Gotham.

I never thought about coming back. But my grandmother got sick, and I couldn't take her in. So, I moved in with her instead. 
This puts me in a dangerous area, but I owe that woman my life.

During these three weeks, I've seen plenty of violence. But nothing compared to the night Thomas and Martha Wayne were killed. 

I was with policeman Tannenbaum, patroling the theater district, when we got the call.
We headed over to an alley where the two bodies were found. It was unknown yet who the victims were.
They had a young son who was the only survivor. It was heartbreaking to see.

Not long after we got here, Detective Bullock and Gordon arrived.

"Oh, the legendary Harvey Bullock. No rest for the wicked, eh?" Tannenbaum says as he chews his gum.

"Tannenbaum, looking crisp. I see they got you with a rookie, too." Bullock nods his head at me.

Detective Bullock is well-known; he's had many cases and has been in the precinct the longest. He's also known for his shit personality. 
He likes to poke fun at people, especially rookies. He's also always in a horrible mood, either from not being drunk or from being drunk.

"Someone has to do the babysitting.", Tannenbaum responds.

"This is my new partner, James Gordon. What do we got?" Harvey asks as he looks around.

"Just got here myself. Male, female, gunshot." He looks over to the boy sitting on the stairs. "Their kid saw the whole thing. Poor bastard hasn't spoke a word yet."

The boy sat still, staring at the floor. I knew that far-away look and the feelings that came with it. 

"Perhaps you should go speak to him.", I whisper to Jim as we both look at the traumatized child.

I knew Jim Gordon pretty well. We bonded with our rookie status, even though Jim isn't exactly what you would call a rookie. 
I knew Jim could talk to the child better than me.

Or maybe I was just too scared to do it myself.

While Jim was talking to the boy, Bullock examined the bodies.

Bullock quickly stood up, "Listen, T., do me a favor. You didn't see me, okay?"

"I see you right in front of me." Tannenbaum looks up and down at him, "What's your problem?"

"That's Thomas and Martha Wayne." He points down at the victims.

Tannenbaum's eyes bulge open. I am also left in shock at the information.

"I don't need that kind of hassle. Call Major Crimes; they'd love to have this." Bullock shakes his head.

"Yeah, but they're not here." Tannenbaum points at Jim, "And your partner is talking to the witness." Jim looks back at us. "So that makes it your case." He points at Harvey.

Harvey angrily shakes his head as he's roped into the case.

Jim goes back to talking to the boy, who starts speaking. I couldn't hear what he said, but I didn't need to. The important thing is he was talking to someone.

A car quickly drives to the scene, and a man rushes out.

"Hey. Who the hell is that?" Tannenbaum asks as the man walks over.

When the boy sees the man, he runs to his arms. The man gives him a comforting hug.

"James Gordon." Jim introduces himself to the man.