4-Children in Trouble

I had barely gotten to Jim's desk with two cups of coffee for us when Essen slammed angrily a copy of the Gotham Gazette.
'CHILD SNATCHERS!' it said in bold letters.

"'Gotham spirals ever downward.' 'Mayor James under attack.' 'Vows swift action' 'Points the finger at police department's sluggish response.' Et cetera." Essen quotes the paper.

Jim and I looked at each other.

"It's just ink." Harvey shrugged and put the paper down.

"Did you give them this?" She looked at Harvey furiously.

"Me?" 

I resist the urge to snicker. I also believe he'd do it.

"You've done it before." She put her hand on her hip.

"On my case? Never." He shook his head defensively. "Be a very stupid thing to do." He looked over to Jim.

Jim seems like a deer in headlights as we look at him.

"Jim?" Sarah asked with folded arms.

"I didn't call it in.", he points at himself.

Sarah frowns.

"I swear." He raised his arms, almost convincing.

I could feel Harvey about to point the finger at me.

"Before you point the finger at me, Harvey- I didn't say anything. I have a personal vendetta against the Gotham Gazette. And I don't gossip about cases, even those that aren't my own." I wave my hand up.

Essen looked between us, shaking her head, "Another mystery."

Jim stood up, "We have a thin lead on the case if you'd like to hear it, ma'am."

Sarah nods.

"There are only three companies in Gotham that stock this ATP stuff, and you need a special license to buy it. Chances are one of the three's crooked."

"We intend to lean on all three like they are crooked to see which one pops." I finish explaining.

Sarah shakes her head, still angry, grabbing the newspaper before leaving.

Jim goes over to the phone to begin calling the pharmacies.

"That was sneaky good. Almost couldn't tell you were lying." Harvey leans over to Jim.

"I wasn't lying." He whispers before turning back to the phone. "Good morning, Judge Baker. Thank you, sir. Yes, all three. Welzyne, Dracotech, and Quillan Pharma."

Harvey shakes his head as he gets up and puts on his jacket.

Harvey wouldn't let it go even when we arrived at Quillan Pharma.

"You didn't call the Gazette, but did your girl call the Gazette?" Harvey pointed at Jim as we got out of the car.

"Yeah."

"I knew it."

"I didn't know she was gonna call 'em."

"Seriously, you got to learn to control your woman."

Excuse me? 
I roll my eyes, hoping Jim would knock some sense into the buffoon.

"I kind of like her the way she is."

I suppose at least he disagreed.

"No, these high-class temperamental broads- they need firm handling. Trust me."

I bite my tongue, my jaw tightening as I hold myself from beating some respect into this man.

Dios mio, if he wasn't my superior.

"Trust you? On women?"

I cover my face with my hand, trying to hide the disgust on my face.

"Damn right. All varieties. From hausfraus to movie stars. I love 'em all." 

"Shouldn't we head inside already?" I point at the door.

"Keep shut, rookie." He points at Jim, "Now, you? Let me guess. High school sweetheart. Then a bunch of hos overseas only made you sad, and then there's Barbara."

"Pretty much." Jim nods.

"You, my friend, are a monkey riding a racehorse."

Jim's mouth is agape as he shakes his head. The two of us quickly head inside the pharmacy.

The bell rang when we entered, and a woman quickly ran to the counter. She was petite, probably in her forties, and wore square sunglasses. Reminiscent of a church group lady that went door to door.

I didn't like those ladies. They always gave me the creeps.