Chapter 21

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Jennifer

When I was young I always wanted to go on family vacations but that never happened. Vacations were a far-fetched thought, we didn't even visit our own city together. Walter and I used to hang out together most of the time with bodyguards hot on our heels but that way at least someone was there to capture a lot of pictures of Walter and I together.

I turned around to spot Mr. Reynolds standing outside the car, he got a call from someone named RH so he got out of the car saying, 'Just two minutes, it's urgent'. I was trying to come up with a name for RH when my phone vibrated, indicating a message.

Kathy:
Where are you?

I can't just reply with-Hey, sorry I didn't tell you earlier but I'm with our mathematics professor. We are on our way to the amusement park where we will dress up as vampires and have fun all day long.

I resorted to lying which I don't do with my best friends but in this situation I had to for now. So I replied with, 'I'm at the bookstore.'

Kathy:
Can I join you? Monica had plans with her parents for lunch.

This is why you should never lie to your best friends. I can't tell her. Not now, on a freaking text message. If I tell her, she will immediately call me. I might reveal this during our 'spill the tea' session next month. But right now, I need to come up with something believable. I quickly texted Axel that if anyone asks I'm with him.

Me:
I'm with Axel.

I turned when the car door opened, Mr. Reynolds threw his phone on the back seat and started to drive again. Looks like this RH person said something annoying.

Kathy:
Oops! Enjoy your date. *wink*
I need all the details ASAP when you return!!!

I felt bad for lying to Kathy but if anyone gets a whiff that I'm with my professor outside of college premises without any kind of serious college work involved then it would have a negative impact on his image as well as mine. I put my phone back in my pocket and noticed Mr. Reynolds stealing a glance at me.

"Is everything okay?" I looked at him confused. "You looked conflicted about something." He said, nudging his head towards my phone. "You can tell me if something's bothering you."

"Nothing, just a few assignments that are lined up for next week." I lied and hoped he would believe it.

Sometime later, I realised I forgot to tell him to stop at the store. I'm going to dress up as Mavis from Hotel Transylvania so I ordered the stockings with black and red strips which need to be picked up.

"Look, I'm sorry but we had to take a right at the crossroad we just crossed." I said while still looking at the screen to see if there's a shorter way to get back on track than the one which is preferred by the maps.

"It's alright." He said simply and focussed back on the road.

"What? Aren't you going to say some bad words like cab drivers do when I don't tell them the correct route." I asked in disbelief. Everytime I have given someone wrong directions I end up getting scolded or sworn on.

"I'm not your cab driver and they say bad words to you? Report them if they do it next time." He raised an eyebrow at me which made me nod.

"I'll take your word for it." I said and punched in the location in the GPS.

We reached the destination after ten minutes and I picked up my stockings.

"Wouldn't all black look better than this?" He asked as he eyed the stockings.