Chapter 2

Sam
Stepping onto the grated ramp back through the wormhole always felt like a magnetic pull to home. I enjoyed being off-world, seeing planets and moons that no one could even put to words, but there was nothing like stepping back home after being gone for a few days.

"Welcome back SG1," Walter sat up in the command center typing away.

Teal'c nodded back a hello while Daniel and Jack walked away arguing over something I didn't care to interrupt. I gave the control room a quick wave and handed off my sack to someone nearby.

"There is a tablet in there, we each have one, if you could have someone take a look at it before handing it over to cataloging I'd appreciate it." I explained and kept making my way to the showers. We had been gone for three days on what could only be described as the sandiest camping trip I've ever had the displeasure of attending.

"We don't need to go back," I heard Jack snapping from down the hallway.

"I too see the relevance of Dr. Jackson's findings," Teal'c pitched in. "The temple was most intriguing."

"Teal'c," Jack clasped his hand over Teal'c shoulder, "you just like the mention of a weapons cache. I don't blame you, I do too, but there hasn't been anyone inhabiting that place for a long time. We couldn't find anything remotely useful there."

"I beg to differ Jack," Daniel started and Jack cut him off.

"I'm sure you do." He snarked and I walked past them to get to the women's locker rooms. Jack was growing more irritable the past few weeks, he knew that Hammond was feeling the strain to prove that Stargate Command was worth the extra investment they were asking for, and that rolled down to Jack who was head of the SG teams. He needed something to help give the President an incentive to keep requesting congressional funding, without giving away too many secrets.

The showers in the SGC women's locker rooms were not as bad as expected with the pipes reaching so deep into the mountain. After scrubbing the silt and debris from every pore I quickly embraced the steam still trapped in the room with me and dressed before I felt the chill of escaping air. I checked my watch, I would allow myself an hour to start on my report and then turn in for the night.

I passed Eleanor's office seeing the light was still on. "Knock knock," I called in and she popped her head out from a shelving unit. She had managed to make such a dreary room feel light. There were a couple of worn Turkish rugs laid out over one another to cover the floor under her desk and work table. Photographs from what I assumed were travels of hers, splayed in frames on the wall. She had a small bowl near a side table at the front door filled with assorted candies and suckers. I chuckled and unwrapped a peppermint before plopping it into my mouth and looking at the memo and request forms that were ever so neatly stacked next to it.

"Good evening Major Carter!" She chimed, her soft copper coils were bound up in a colorfully patterned silk handkerchief . She had dirt smudges across her forehead and an olive t-shirt tucked into tan linen pants. "I didn't realize you were already back."
"I hadn't checked to see how your last three weeks have gone here? Well I hope?"

"Four weeks, and exceedingly well," she beamed. "Thank you, that's very kind to ask. Mostly people just come in here to drop something off or argue about files."

"Daniel mentioned that you're compiling a database of some sort?"

"Yes," she clapped her hands together excitedly, "I was currently going over previous reports and fine combing criteria to piece together profiles of each planetary civilization for what I believe is a much needed anthropological catalog. Some planets are easier than others, especially those with living residents who are willing to create trade ties with us. But, General Hammond thinks it'll be a great field reference guide once I'm done." She turned to the clock on her wall. "Oh, I didn't realize it was so late."