Chapter 8

Eleanor

I was sitting in the mess hall, book in hand and a half enjoyed avocado salad when Lonnie plopped down in the seat across from me. I didn't bother to look up until halfway through his meal he spoke.
"What are you reading?"

"It's about this woman who's in love with a sea captain that goes missing, but he can still communicate to her through messages that wash up in bottles. Turns out he's trapped in the future because he went through the Bermuda Triangle." He made a disgusted look and I shrugged, "I like it, but I am a hopeless romantic."

"Hopeless? That's a shame." He teased. "Are you free Sunday?"

"Actually you won't believe this, I have tickets to see a concert this weekend. I bought them as a birthday gift for myself back in April. My sister was going to fly out and see it with me, but something came up on her end. So, here I am with a spare ticket."

"Great! Who are we seeing?"

"The Colorado symphony is doing an ode to Star Wars a New Hope." I beamed but his interest was clearly shot down.

"I cannot imagine a more boring way to spend a weekend."

"I'm not worth pretending to enjoy at least 90 minutes of classic science fiction with musical accompaniment." I raised a brow. "Your daily work is science fiction."

"You need to get laid for your birthday Owens, and lightsabers or missing sea captains won't do it."

"My birthday was months ago."

"The offer still stands," he winked and got up to go speak to a woman who worked two floors up sitting by herself.

I heard a throat clear behind me and turned around. "I tried to get those tickets, but uh they sold out very quickly." Bill chimed in.

"Would you be able to find a date? I can give them both to you if you'd like." I packed up my salad imagining I'd have to finish it in my office now that my hour was done. "They're great seats. Right in the center, and I'm pretty sure there is a 2 drink ticket upgrade included."

"Really?" His eyes practically bulged out of his skull.
"I don't want to go by myself. That would feel rather pathetic if I'm honest. Just myself with a themed cocktail in each hand in a crowd of people, nah."

"I would pay you back of course!"

We agreed and I mentioned he could swing by my house and grab them out of my mailbox anytime this weekend. The look of pure excitement on his face was nearly payment enough.

The next Monday I had a new crate of goodies to unload at my table. I was sliding my hands into the thick rubber safety gloves when Bill came by to see me.

"Thank you again for the tickets, the show was," he made a motion of his head exploding.

"Good! I'm glad someone had a fun time with them. Who did you take with you?"

"Get this, I've been trying to have this beautiful brunette in the Astrophysics department at the University of Denver to go out for drinks with me. I mentioned I had tickets, and let's just say the force was strong with this one." He was nearly glowing with pride and I tried to muffle my laugh from behind my hand as Daniel, Teal'c and Jack were standing behind him.

"That's wonderful." I managed.

"Dinner and a show then or?" Jack cocked his head to the side and Bill spun around.

"Oh! I was uh just thanking her for the spare tickets she had this weekend."

"Spare?" Teal'c asked.