Chapter 7

Eleanor

My body was still tender, but the next Monday morning I had been spiritually rejuvenated. I made a point to wake earlier because I wanted to enjoy a walk into the coffee shop on my way to the office rather than just driving through. I had ordered an iced latte, one americano, and four boxes full of pastries.

Knowing that the mess hall had fresh danishes at the start of every week, there was still something about an individually wrapped maple oat muffin from a bakery that felt singularly special.

By seven I had already placed a box on Dr. Fraiser's desk, as well as Bill and Sam's lab tables with a short thank you note. Daniel was in his office when I got back to mine and I knocked on his door walking in on the final rap.

I shimmied the box of muffins across the desk to him and he looked up from his computer. He grabbed the americano and gave it a swirl before taking a sip. "It's a very small thank you. You didn't have to stay by my bedside, or drive me home, you were out off-world for three days prior and I'm sure exhausted. Plus," I tapped on the box, "you've got to take advantage of a good apple fritter when you can."

"That's what good coworkers do." He forced a bleak smile and I felt a knife twist in me.

"Right," I swallowed back. "I got them for Dr. Fraiser and Sam as well." He turned his face back to the computer and I walked away when I heard, "I'll be in Argentina for the next two weeks. I'm going to leave you my office key if you need it."

"Sounds good," I walked out and back to my own office feeling a wash of confusion. Had I said something in my drug induced delirium when he took me home? Why was he so distant? I tried not to let it cloud my mind the rest of the morning. There were files that I needed to record and planet entries to compile.

A few hours later Lonnie knocked on my door and poked his head inside. "Hey friend," he gave me an uneasy smile. "Feeling better?"

"Physically yes, mentally I'm still grappling with the idea of new potential entrapment tools that may land on my work table but I am more appreciative of life, so that's fun." I took a pile of folders and set them on top of my filing cabinet.

"You caused quite the ruckus," he wiggled his brows at me and sat down in the chair across the desk stretching out.

"Oh yes, well you know me. I love attention." I replied flatly and pushed his feet off my desk.

"Have you gotten to your mission reports yet today?" He leaned forward and grinned at me.

"No, I had requests backed up that I needed to tend to. Including your request for," I shuffled through my done pile and pulled it out, "oh yes, to get fucked. Yeah. I can't do anything about that, sorry."

"I actually feel bad about that one now, I thought it was funny at the time but knowing you uh, were in some weird prison toy it feels off color."

I went back to my computer to check my emails as he leaned back again and sighed loudly.

"Well, Major Loren and his team went off-world and ended up in a situation where the people there tried to drug him and marry another local. He was pretty pissed about it."

"Rightly so," I turned back to him slack jawed.

"Do you think in a parallel universe situation I'm married?"

"What?!" I choked out a laugh and he repeated himself.

"In a parallel universe, am I married?"

"No."

"With kids and a dog?"

"No."

"A golden retriever or something that would be good with kids."

Beyond the Iris: A Stargate StoryOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara