Chapter 11

Eleanor

It was the night of the office Christmas party. Most of us didn't have families at home to worry about, didn't have the patience to travel to go see our parents, or made plans with friends at later dates. So we agreed, we would make a holiday potluck feast to give catering a break, bring it in, and do a secret Santa. I got Colonel O'Neill in the draw, who didn't even show up and honestly would hate the idea entirely. I had curated the perfect fishing lure, tucked it into a case of Guinness, and wrapped it in Minnesota lakes wrapping paper with a peridot green bow and a sprig of holly. Every piece was meticulously placed, and he wasn't here to enjoy it.

"It's very cute." Sam grinned as it sat there alone on his desk.

"I'm sure he'll never guess who it's from." I neatly  shifted the bow so it was as perfect as I could possibly make it. "I do hope he enjoys it."

"I think you're worrying too much." Janet laughed, "he's not going to think anything of it. This is a game to see who can get the worst gift. I got a solar powered thermometer." She shook the battery pack "And we work underground."

"Yeah but, I just feel like he hates me. Maybe with this I can buy his affection, or whatever one step above hate is."

"Jack doesn't like anyone, it's not just you." Janet threaded her arm into mine and we all walked into the mess hall. I had on a dark green tartan dress and black tights. Crimson lipstick, and a large satin black bow in the back of my hair completed what I felt was a very festive look, but in a majority of blue and green coveralls it often feels like I had over dressed.
I saw Daniel talking to a few other uniformed members. He had a cream cable knit sweater on, at least I wasn't the only one who found a reason to look festive enough. He was holding a mug of hot cider and laughing at something someone said. I didn't realize I was staring until he glanced over at us and smiled. I smiled back and pretended to be interested in the patterned wrapping paper on the table I had placed on an hour before when I was helping the HR department decorate.

Teal'c spent the time with son visiting Bra'tac. The idea of a winter solstice was always endearing to him apparently. No one had properly sat him down to discuss Santa, and after renting Nightmare Before Christmas he was even more confused. I had dedicated the week before to binge watching old claymation Christmas movies in his quarters, and had him over to make gingerbread houses while I played Bing Crosby and Carpenter holiday albums on my record player. He wasn't as keen on decorating houses as I had hoped, but I think he enjoyed being able to just see humanity for a moment outside of the base. I even had set up a stocking outside his door so when he returned it would be filled with trinkets and snacks. Christmas magic, I had told him. I was pretty sure he still did not fully grasp the idea, and would be very confused by the gesture, but at least he felt included.

Sam and Janet left to go play at an on-going poker game in the next room over. I checked my watch and saw I had already been there for an hour, left a tray of the third macaroni and cheese dish brought, politely said hello to most everyone, and left my secret Santa gift. It was time for me to head out. I walked past my office and saw the light was on. I tucked in to turn it off and saw sitting on my desk, in red wrapping paper with a lace white ribbon, a small box.

It had a post it note name tag, my pen sitting next to it addressed to me. I picked it up and turned it over. My secret Santa's handwriting was not so secret. I gently peeled the paper back, revealing a white cardboard box that had been filled with white tissue paper when I lifted the lid. My fingers traced over a silk handkerchief, the pattern on the navy cloth had golden constellations. I peeled back the fabric and found a worn leather bound book underneath. Gently, I opened the book that was no larger than my hand and saw the most beautiful painted illustrations of castles and kings, of two lovers intertwined on pages so thin I had to gently turn them to make sure I wouldn't rip the binding.