1 • Cigarettes

⭒*¨༺☽・✮・*˚⁺‧ ‧✩‧ ‧⁺˚*・✮・☾༻¨*⭒ 

Rise of the Guardians

⭒*¨༺☽・✮・*˚⁺‧ ‧✩‧ ‧⁺˚*・✮・☾༻¨*⭒

It was the first time he saw her. It was a late night at the beginning of October, the leaves on the trees had turned into warm vibrant colors and some already laid on the ground.

It was truly beautiful.

The chilly weather indicated that winter was just around the corner. Winter was a time when anything was possible and when everything felt magical.

But you better wear your hat, you don't want Jack Frost nipping at your nose.

But it's a while until then so a hat isn't necessary just yet. But the cold wind that swept through the city still made you want to curl up in a blanket with warm fuzzy socks and a cup of hot chocolate.

He had been watching the city late that night, aimlessly flying through the streets in the hope of finding something interesting. He ended up at the same house he's started visiting more and more over the years. He knew it was hopeless since the family there always went to bed early, but this time something was different. A light could be seen in an open window on the second floor.

What he knew of no one of those living in that house lived in that room. He went over to the window and looked inside. It looked like someone was living there. The room looked small, with a desk next to the window, a mirror above it, plants inside big, beige-white pots on one side, and a makeup organizer on the other side.

Since the window was open he cracked it open a bit more, looking inside. He saw a small shelf on the other side of the window, filled with different kinds of shoes, and around the skinny shelf hung plastic vines. Next to the shelf stood a clothing rack, on it hung hoodies in a few different colors but mostly white, black, gray, and dark blue.

A bit further inside the room was a messy bed with pictures above it and on the other side a small closet with white doors. It was most likely a girl living there.

He had never seen this room before, but he never really looked so close inside the rooms in the first place. He wondered where the person living inside the room was. Maybe she's over at a friend's house or maybe in the kitchen fetching something to eat.

He decided to leave the house since nothing interesting was going on there at the moment but as he rounded the building he saw someone sitting on the roof, facing in the direction of the backyard, unable to see from the street.

She was curled up in a chunky, Dark brown, blanket. She wore a light hoodie with a pair of darker pajama pants and a pair of slippers.

She wore a pair of white headphones, gently swinging her head side to side but it was barely noticeable if you didn't look close enough. She must be listening to something good.

He flew closer, wanting to see who this mysterious person was. When he finally got a glimpse of her face he stopped, eyes widening.

She was silently crying but even if she was crying her face was the most beautiful he had ever seen, and he's been around for a while.

She put a cigarette against her lips, breathing in the intoxicating air before breathing out, smoke escaping her lips.

Another tear fell down her face. She let it stay there, not bothering to remove it and soon the teardrop made a stain on her shirt.

"Tough day?" He asked, sitting down beside her. She took another breath of the cigarette, staring out into the beautiful night.

"Y'know that thing will only take away your sadness momentarily." He flicked his hand, creating a snowflake that extinguished the embers. "And it's poisonous, you could die." He smiles down at her.

"Stupid wind," She mutters irritatedly, taking out a lighter. After a few failed attempts she gives up, putting the cigarette to the side and the lighter back in her pocket. "Maybe I should go inside, it's getting a bit cold anyway."

She stands up and takes the blanket under her arm before quietly walking over to her window. It was a bit difficult since her window was on the other side of the house so she had to go over to the lower part of the roof before she was able to get on the other side. It was safer than crawling over the top of the roof.

"Oh, careful where you put your feet." He said, circling her as she carefully walked over the roof. "But of course, if you fall I'll make sure you land safely." He smiled down at her, leaning on his staff.

Soon the girl made it to the other side of the roof now she only had a meter or so to her window. She reached for the window frame, gabbing the white wood with her hand. "Careful now this is the hardest part." He said, swinging his legs back and forth from where he was sitting.

She successfully leaps and now she's standing directly in front of the window. He could see every bit of her face now, her ocean-blue eyes and cute freckles.

He drowned in those eyes as everything around him faded away. He could sit here for hours if it meant staring into those beautiful eyes. She looked so pretty, he loved this view.

But this moment only lasted for a second before she stepped inside, passing through him like he was a ghost.

He snapped out of his trance and looked behind him, seeing her walk over to her bed, laying down while picking up her phone, curling up underneath her blanket.

He clutched his chest tightly, feeling more lonely than ever before.

He had forgotten she couldn't see him.

Unedited