5: The Sludge Monster

"Damn it...that's not food, stupid."

Midoriya sluggishly leaned over the mini brick wall and grabbed his burnt notebook from the water, looking at it bitterly.

"Midoriya..." mumbled Y/n, giving him a concerned glance, placing her hands on his shoulder.

He looks up at her then gives her a small smile, "I'm okay...it's okay. It'll dry soon and I'm sure everything in there is still gonna be legible..."

"Midpriya...it's okay not to be okay. For god's sake, he hurt you and said some....awful things and...." Y/n stops talking for a moment then looks at him with a frown, "you don't have to pretend everything's okay when it's not. I can only imagine how awful you must feel right now so maybe....maybe-"

He chuckles slightly and looks down at her with tears in his eyes and a wide smile, confusing her.

"W-what? Why are you laughing? D-do I sound stupid or something?" She rambles anxiously.

"N-no no, it's not that. Y-you just....thank you."

"Huh?"

"It's just wierd finally having someone who's so...nice to me. It's odd, really. I would have thought that in a situation like this I would be very hopless but...with you around, i-it just...it makes me feel like I'm not alone, if you know what I mean?" His cheeks turn red as he nervously rubs the back of his neck with his free hand.

Y/n stares at him in shock and her hands fall beside her, cheeks also turning red. "O-oh...I thought I said something...well, I'm glad I could lighten the situation up a bit," she smiles softly then lays her eyes on his burnt shoulder. "But um...your shoulder....are you sure you don't want to go back inside and patch it up? That's some serious burn mark, there's no way it doesn't hurt."

"L/n-san, I'm fine really, stop worrying," he gives her a reassuring smile.

"But-"

"I'm seriously okay, it's not that bad...but if it helps, I think I have a burn cream at home?"

"Fine," she sighs and starts walking ahead of him then speaks again, "let's hurry up so we can heal it."

Midoriya nods and jogs to catch up with her, heading towards a tunnel with a more uplifted mood.

"Oh, and Midoriya?"

He looks at her, "yes?"

"What Bakugou said...forget it all because none of it its true. You can and will be a hero whether he likes it or not, okay?"she smiles encouragingly and feels her heart beat faster against her chest when his smile grows wider.

"Right! I'm not going to care what anyone else says, I'll keep my chin up and keep moving forward!" He turns to look forwad and his steps become wider, seemingly more energetic. "HA HA HA!" he laughs in his signature All Might voice, causing Y/n to burst out laughing as she tries to catch up with him.

BAM!

Both teens jumped, letting out a frightened gasp as they slowly turned their heads. There, lurking the the dark, stood a large glob of mold-green slime with evil orbs and a sinister smirk.

'Shit! The sludge monster! How did I forget about this bit!?'

Midoriya let's out a panicked shout and quickly grabs Y/n's arm and starts dragging her to the end of the tunnel when he notices the monster moving closer to them.

"Hmm...a medium sized body to hide in..." says the glob of slime in a low voice and then starts speeding towards the teens, his eyes never leaving Midoriya.