•5• Lahore's shadow

In Lahore's outskirts,

there stood an old building, worn out by time and weather. The place seemed forgotten, surrounded by a gloomy sky. The building looked tired, like it held stories from many years. Silence hung thick in the air, making it clear that the building kept secrets within its crumbling walls. Despite its age, the structure stood strong, a quiet guardian of mysteries, telling tales of Lahore's past in hushed whispers.

From a distance, a small child observed the building, his gaze filled with fear. He dared not look directly at it, a silent understanding lingering in his innocent eyes. The reason for his trepidation? He knew the building all too well—aware of the secrets it held and the ominous presence it concealed. The child stood frozen, a mixture of curiosity and dread in his heart, as the aged structure loomed large, casting a shadow over his apprehensive form.

As the sky darkened, the child, named Abbas , noticed approaching footsteps. Turning around, he discovered a man. The man knelt down, his expression stern, and instructed Abbaa with a gravelly voice.

" Building ke andar ja , usse dhund oor ko mene bola hai vho bol usko"

["Go into the building, find him, and say what I said."]

The frightened child nodded obediently, his eyes shifting nervously toward the foreboding structure. With a deep breath, he began his hesitant journey toward the mysterious building, the weight of the man's words heavy on his small shoulders.

Stepping into the building, Abbas was immediately greeted by the pungent mix of cigarettes and alcohol that hung in the air like an unwelcome cloak.

The scent assaulted his senses, a stark reminder of the illicit activities unfolding within the dilapidated walls. The dim light struggled to penetrate the gloom, casting eerie shadows as Aya cautiously ventured further. The discordant symphony of hushed conversations and occasional clinks of glass bottles intensified his unease.

The atmosphere was intense. Abbas stood in a corner, observing the sizable room.the strong smell of cigarettes and alcohol filled the air. The little boy felt overwhelmed by the unpleasant odor. The dim lighting added to the eerie atmosphere, and he cautiously moved further into the room, keeping to the shadows.

In the center of the space, people were busy handling large firearms taken from a van, and on a nearby table, various drugs were being placed into a bag. Abbas, hidden in the corner, observed the activities with a mix of fear and curiosity. The scene was unsettling, and he wondered what he had gotten himself into.

As he remained hidden, Abbas couldn't shake off the sense that he was witnessing something dangerous. The adults in the room seemed focused on their tasks, oblivious to the small, terrified observer in their midst.

Panicking, Abbas didn't know what to do; his instincts told him to run upstairs to escape the unfolding situation. Unfortunately, someone spotted him. The men in the room noticed the presence of a child and moved quickly to catch him. Abbas heart raced as he darted towards the staircase, hoping desperately to evade the approaching figures. The atmosphere grew tense, and the room echoed with hurried footsteps as the men closed in on the frightened child.

As Abbad scampered upstairs, the weight of fear pressed heavily on his small shoulders. The staircase seemed to stretch infinitely as his footsteps echoed through the desolate building. Panic surged within him, and his breaths quickened.

Finding refuge on the upper floor, Abbas spotted an abandoned table, its worn surface concealing him like a shield. He slid under it, curling into a tight ball, hoping the men would overlook his hiding spot.