•8• Nigaah

Khan Haveli

stood as a fortress, guarding the veiled intricacies of familial secrets and silent alliances. Within its aged walls, an unseen tension crackled, echoing through the stone corridors and hidden passages. The rhythmic hum of daily tasks served as a mere facade, concealing the unspoken turmoil brewing beneath the surface. Women moved with a practiced grace, their expressions betraying no hint of the storm that lingered in the air, while the men congregated in hushed deliberations that transcended the ordinary affairs of the household - discussions that orbited around someone more than something.

"End of the decision, Amir, ham sab kal voh party mein jayenge. Ham bhi dekhte hain na kab tak ye natak chalta hai,"

declared Ebrahim Ali, the venerable patriarch of the Khan family. His words bore a weight that hinted at a pivotal moment, an imminent juncture that extended far beyond the confines of familial matters.

Amir, positioned as a silent observer, absorbed the intensity etched on the retreating figures of his father and grandfather. The collective anger directed at Ahmed Ali cast a somber shadow over the haveli, signaling a decision that held implications reaching into the very heart of their legacy.

Within the charged atmosphere, Zainabia, Amir's mother, seated herself beside him. Her countenance revealed a mix of concern and foreboding, a silent acknowledgment of the storm brewing within their midst. Before she could articulate her apprehensions, Amir interjected with a resigned tone,

"Mother, I tried my best to make them understand, but they've had enough now. We need to go there tomorrow."

Zainabia, visibly distressed, attempted to voice her anxieties, "But, Amir-"

"Ammi, iske aage main kuch nahi kar sakta hoon abhi. Mujhe maaf kijiye. Abhi sab Arsalan bhai ke upar hai, vo jaise bolenge, hum vahi karenge,"

Amir stated without meeting his mother's gaze. His words carried a weight of frustration and acquiescence, reflecting an unwavering loyalty to the family's decisions, even in the face of tumultuous circumstances.

"Eesa na bole Amir. Kuch to hoga. Ahmed eesa kuch nahi kar sakta-"

"Hamare sab kile kartoot ki techi hai unke pass, he's spying on us, he wants to destroy us. Ye kuch nahi kar rahe hain vo? Aare pichli baar chhod diya tha unko, kuch haath bhi nahi lagaya. Agar ye Khan sa ko pata chal gaya, sabse pehle mujhe maar dalegi vo. Rehmat kijiye unko, kuch nahi pata hai abhi tak!"

Amir's voice escalated, frustration pouring out as he grappled with the weight of his own powerlessness in the face of Ahmed Ali's covert machinations.

Amir's gaze briefly met his mother's tear-filled eyes, yet he couldn't yield to her pleas. Leaving abruptly, he retreated to the sanctuary of his room, becoming a silent witness to the tumultuous reality that enshrouded his life.

In the solitude of his room, Amir found himself entangled in the labyrinth of his own existence. The weight of familial expectations, the looming threat of Ahmed Ali, and the helplessness of his mother painted a poignant picture of the tumult that raged within him.

As he pondered the intricacies of his life, a subtle chime disrupted his thoughts -

two new messages. From Khan sa?

Ting ting.

_____________________________

Nora's pov.

The day of the gathering arrived faster than anticipated, engulfing everyone in a flurry of decorations and activity. Amidst the chaos, I found myself lost in the mess. It had been five days since the college incident, and there was a hopeful silence - no messages from that person.