Wither & Decay (Witchcraft)

Happy Halloween and welcome to my first one shot in this new book :), which also doubles as a Halloween special!

Also, yes, the title is a TTS reference >:)

Ships-
ScottxMilo

When Scott's appearance had begun to change due to his practice of magic, he had despised it. At first it was just some simple eye bags, which were probably a mix of both a lack of sleep and the necromancy, he had still been in denial of the effects his efforts would have on him at that point, so he decided it was due to the former. Then his skin became sickly pale, still in denial he chalked it up to barely going outside at the time. Then, a year and a half after Milo's death, his eyes changed. At first it was subtle, a slight tinge that became more prevalent until his previously soft green eyes transformed into a dark green. He finally gave in, finally acknowledging to himself what the magic was doing to him, but he couldn't stop, he needed to bring Milo back. Pushing it to the back of his mind, he continued on with his work.

Then what he feared happened, his hair changed. His golden hair, his sunshine, turned the same musty dark green as his eyes. He hated it. He didn't know if Milo would be able to recognize him, would he even still love him? He had cried for a long time after the thought ran through his head. At first he had desperately tried dying it back, but no matter what brand he used, no matter what color he chose,it didn't work. His hair was stuck, forever dark green.

Eventually he found a spell, a spell that would let Scott preserve his body, no physical modifications would appear on it. Sure, it wouldn't reverse the damage, but it would stop it from getting worse.

***

The first month after Scott had revived Milo had been bliss. Sure, he had to run them through what had happened the past 4 years, and Milo had to get used to some of the changes, but overall it had been perfect. The two were living together in Scott's home, they had finally finished clearing out all of his old magical necromantic possessions, and were considering maybe adopting a cat.

It didn't take long for disaster to strike. One morning, Scott woke up at 10, and Milo was already out and about, leaving a note for Scott.

I'm at the store, I left some breakfast on the counter for you,

All my love,

-Milo

Scott smiled for a moment before looking up from the note and walking over to the plate they had set out. Just as Scott had suspected, it was cold but it didn't bother him, Milo's cooking was great either way.

It was when he scooped up a forkful of eggs that he spotted it. The tips of his fingers were decaying, it was barely visible, but Scott had been around enough decay and rot in his life to know what he was looking at. He panicked, dropping the fork back into the plate and rushing to a mirror, checking for any other areas of decay. Once he concluded that there were none he not so calmly walked to his room, pulling the single book of witchcraft he had kept since Milo's revival off of his bookshelf. He flipped through it , desperately trying to figure out how his decay could have resumed despite losing his magic when it hit him.

The spell.

The spell he had used to prevent the decay was no longer in effect, and now it was finally catching up. By now the decay has started to spread, now reaching the beginning of his fingernails.

He hated it. He hated what he had become. Even with them back, he couldn't be happy. He didn't regret it, he could never regret going down the path that revived his love. But he hated what he had become because of it.

***
What must have been hours later, Scott heard the front door open. He was currently curled up in the corner of his and Milo's room, crying. The decay had finally stopped, ending just below his knuckles, but Scott wasn't sure if that was it. As far as he knew, another part of him could start decaying, or change in some other way.

Scott was snapped out of his spiral by the door opening. Golden light flooded into the dark bedroom as Milo stood there.

"Scott? What-" he stopped when he realized Scott was crying, rushing forward he sat down, wrapping their arms around Scott and pulling him into a hug, "What's wrong, moonlight?"

Scott tucked his hands into his sleeves so Milo wouldn't be able to see them before he had a chance to explain. The former witch took in a shaky breath before beginning an explanation, "So, remember how I told you about how the necromancy changed my appearance overtime?"

"Yeah...?" Milo responded, prompting their husband to go on.

"Back when it was still happening, I found a spell that stopped the effects from happening, but now that I've lost my magic," he lifted up his hand, making sure Milo would be able to see it, "it's now it's catching up.

Scott could feel as he stared at it for a moment, taking in the color his hands had become, the same musty green as his hair, streaking down as it decayed. Then Milo linked his hand with Scott's. Not even flinching at the strange decay texture. They took Scott's head in their other hand and looked him dead in the eyes.

"You're beautiful regardless," he said, as if he was reading Scott's mind, "and I will never stop loving you.