The Right Place, at The Right Time

(April)

April watched as her mother ran around the kitchen preparing a large banquet of food for their company tonight. She didn't know why she was going through all this trouble for some stranger. April was certain that Mike wasn't a friend of Conner, or at least as far as she knew. She had never heard or seen him around Conner before, even through school.

Ever since they left the dance studio, her mother had been praising on about Mike. She would not shut up about how handsome he was or what a gentleman he had been. April just rolled her eyes and grabbed another handful of candy from the bowl in front of her.

"April, stop eating that. You'll spoil your dinner. After all the trouble I went through."

"You don't have to do anything for anyone."

"Don't start that, you should be thankful he even agreed to go with you. I was surprised your brother actually found someone, and someone decent."

"That's what you think." April mumbled.

Conner had suggested they invite him to dinner and her mother had jumped at the opportunity. She had far to much on her hands to deal with a family dinner. She hadn't liked the way Mike had talked to her earlier and didn't want to spend any more time near him, much less over dinner with her parents around. She was sure she would have to bite her tongue the whole time to stop herself from saying something rude.

"Honey why don't you go and put on something nice for tonight. I'm sure Mike will be here in about an hour or so."

"Sorry mom, but I've got plans for tonight. And they don't involve prettying up for some guy."

Her mother stopped chopping and looked her straight in the eye.

"You will go upstairs and dress properly to receive our guest. This is not a debate. You still live under this roof and you will still obey me until you get your own place. Did I make myself clear?"

April wanted to retaliate but knew better than to make her mother angrier than she already was. She would have to support being around him long enough to get dinner over with and then she would leave. She had plans tonight and she would be sure not to miss them.

"Fine, but I'm only staying for dinner."

Before her mother could say anything else to her she got up and left the room. She took the steps upstairs two at a time and went to her room. She had to pack her stuff for the night and be ready to leave as soon as dinner was done with, she didn't want to be too late.

She opened her closet door and walked down the aisle. Trying to decide what would be 'deemed' appropriate for her mother, and be convenient for her evening.

She stopped in front of her jeans and pulled a lightweight pair of blue jeans she would be able to move around in. Not exactly what she would have liked but there would be no time to change later. She walked back out and grabbed a decent beige shirt from her drawer. It would have to do.

She quickly changed and brushed her hair before running back downstairs with the first box she had packed. Just as she reached the front door, Conner walked in.

"Hold the door."

Conner moved out of the way as she came flying out the door.

"Are you finally moving out sis?" He called after her.

"I wish," she muttered to herself.

April placed the box on the top of the car in order to open the door. The back of her car was already a mess with leftovers from her previous jobs. Soon she would have enough things to complete another job. Leaving the door open, she went back inside and up the stairs again to get the other two boxes she packed.