4

A few weeks passed by, and the following days seemed like a dream to Agape.

In the past nineteen years, "freedom" has never fallen into his life as vividly, heavily, and weightily as it does now.

No slave master could order him or whip him anymore, and no one seemed to be able to manipulate his will beyond Gerald. Therefore, after regaining his "freedom", the first thing he felt was confusion. The flat wilderness was endless as far as the eye could see. So, which direction should he take?

He was still on guard in his heart, but this confusion and confusion made him involuntarily get closer to Gerald. How do free people live, how do they speak and act, how do they deal with joy and sorrow? He absorbed it with difficulty and imitated Gerald, but he didn't know whether his behavior was considered a poor imitation of a cat or a tiger.

Gerrard watched this scene with interest. He was happy to appreciate this part of the complex game, but to his surprise and dissatisfaction, Agape never gave in. This slave from a humble background actually stubbornly withstood the temptation of sugar-coated bullets. He was wary of the trap of tenderness, like a wild dog that had been abandoned and kicked. From then on, he was wary of everyone's outstretched hand. He is hesitant to face the temptation of freedom, and he also has a "rental" mentality to the bribes of fine clothes and delicacies.

Agape is aware of everything clearly. He knows from the bottom of his heart that sooner or later, gifts from outsiders will be taken back. No one on this island is true and reliable.

With an encouraging smile, Gerrard was determined to up the ante.

On this day, a grand banquet was held in the White Tower.

This cocktail party can only be held once every few years, and the only members who come to participate are the island's big slave owners, as well as maritime tycoons from various countries, governors and dignitaries, royal envoys, and even the rulers of some small countries and neutral principalities. The wealth of the world flows through the sea, and the channels between ocean currents are the blood vessels of the sea. It is precisely in this way that these powerful and wealthy lords slowly took hold of the lifeblood of the world through gatherings and banquets one after another, and through the exchange of interests and blood.

Elsewhere, one can say that the activities of rulers affect the course of the world, and the will of emperors and popes determines the policies between countries; but here, the Molucca is the mountain behind all forces and the origin of spices. The earth measures the weight of secular royal power and religious power.

After all, during the most exaggerated and fanatical period of the spice wave, the priests had to squint their eyes and use sacred tweezers to count out the white pepper one by one as a decoration for the cross; an ounce of gold could only be exchanged for 0.8 ounces. of pure nutmeg.

"I don't feel comfortable leaving you alone in the room." Gerald said with concern, "Dear friend, just follow me, okay?"

Agape felt anxious, but nodded in agreement. There were so many guests at the banquet, with their fragrant clothes and shadows on their temples, the wave of perfume filling the air, the dazzling sound of jewelry rubbing against expensive silk materials, the crisp sound of crystal wine glasses clinking gently, and people's warm and whispered whispers. , the crackling sound of folding fans opening and closing... Everything is like a band playing in unison, crowding towards Agape.

Agape's body was shaking with nervousness and he didn't dare to speak. Of course, there was no need to let him speak in the current situation. Gerald stepped into the magnificent hall, and this place suddenly became his kingdom. He walked with his head held high, like a lion patrolling the territory, shaking his golden mane noblely. Almost instantly, powerful men and women surrounded him on three levels, spontaneously forming a small court around him.