xChapter 72 - Abandonment (1)

"About time you finally showed up," Marcus' father, Kyle Veridan, remarks.

"Dad?!" Marcus asks, stunned.

The two are standing in their home, Kyle is a tall somewhat muscular man with white skin, black hair in a two-block style, a goatee, and green eyes. He's wearing a simple white button-up underneath a black suit jacket, glasses, black pants, and black shoes.

"What are you doing here?" Marcus asks, confused.

"That's a silly question, I live here don't I?" Kyle Veridan jokes.

Marcus is tense as he looks at his father, when was the last time he really had a proper talk with him? He honestly can't recall. Most of his communication throughout his life with his parents was always notes that were left behind by them.

And yet, despite him now being face-to-face with his father, he can't help but feel uneasy as he looks at his old man.

"So, how's school been going for you?" Kyle Veridan asks.

"It's- It's been fine," Marcus remarks.

"So you like it?"

"Y-yes."

"Well that's good to hear," Kyle Veridan sighs.

As the two stand there in silence, Kyle eventually breaks the silence by saying, "You can get out of the house now."

Confused Marcus just murmurs, "What?"

Kyle remarks, "You're old enough to fend for yourself. Besides, it wouldn't be nice of us to have you move with us."

"You're moving?" Marcus questions, "Why didn't you tell me-"

Kyle just places his hand on Marcus' shoulder as he remarks, "I wanted to take you with but your mother had other plans. You got five minutes and if you aren't out by then I'll have to force you to."

____________________

Marcus walks down the streets away from the place he once called home. As the light drizzle continues, the only thing Marcus has with him is just a backpack of anything he managed to take before getting kicked out.

If he's being honest with himself, he always expected something like this. He may have just been disowned, but his parents abandoned him long ago.

As he tries to think of what to do now, he thinks of the place which has been a second home to him. The Everst Family Household.

Marcus makes his way there through the rain and is about to knock on the door when he hears something.

Sobs.

The tears of Sally Everst.

As Marcus stands there, his hand just inches away from the door, he moves his hand back and turns away.

He forgot that Sally was suffering deeply from all of this, and he didn't want to be just another thing that made her life harder.

He doesn't want to be a burden.

So next he thinks of maybe staying at his other friends' places; Cameron is out of the question since he needs to focus on getting better, Alex's house is crowded as is and he's probably still at the station.

So he decides to walk over to the apartment building where Elizabeth is at. However, when he is about to enter the building, he sees something.

At a diner across the street, Elizabeth is eating with her family, and while her younger siblings Hai & Lang are concerned, Elizabeth and her parents are trying to reassure them that everything is okay. Seeing that despite the anguish and pain she's in, smiling and making her siblings feel at ease, if he decided to ask to stay with them.... That would just make all of her efforts in vain.