Chapter 4 - Confusion

You can never control who you fall in love with, even when you're in the most sad, confused time of your life.  

– Kirsten Dunst

It took 3 weeks for the hospital to release her, and (y/n) couldn't believe the wonderful feeling of the breeze on her face or the fresh air in her lungs-- even if she had to now deal with being bound to a wheelchair for the next month or so to try and elevate some pain from her back and ribs. 

She wasn't sure what to do with her freedom, should she head home or maybe... she could try and find Sam? (y/n)'s mind continued to wander to the soft, playful young man. To her, he was adorable, a bit like an angel or a living star with his gentle blue eyes and his sandy blond hair... was his hair as silky as it looked? Did she... like him? With a sigh of content at her thoughts, (y/n) was unfortunately jostled out of her day dream by a crack in the path that her wheel managed to get stuck in.

An angry huff left (y/n)'s lips as she let out a small noise of frustration. 

If only Sam was here. Yeah so that she could ruin him.

She should probably just go home. Sure, if she wanted to be beaten even further. 

If only she had gotten to the cliff earlier. Who knows, maybe the spirit doesn't want to bring her eternal misery and pain?

What was with (y/n)'s thoughts today? 

Another large huff left her.

"Still not having the best time?" 

The smooth velvety voice she recognised instantly as Sam came from behind her and she struggled to turn her head to look at him. With the sun dancing upon his hair like a halo, and a smile across his face, (y/n) felt her chest tighten. It seemed he'd been shopping, with a few bags of groceries hanging from his hands. 

Carefully, he put the bags down before shifting (y/n) out of the small crevice she was stuck in, "There we go! That should make it a bit easier for you."

His smile sent a warm bloom across (y/n)'s body as she struggled to thank him, only faint sounds leaving her mouth.

Sam's face fell slightly in sadness, "Having difficulty with talking still? That's alright." Suddenly he perked up, "Oh hey! You know I was planning on cooking tonight, maybe you'd like to drop by? I'm not the best cook but it's just mac and cheese, plus I always make too much anyway."

The smile he sent (y/n)'s way could only be described as radiant, making her heart soar with possibilities before it plummeted. He was taken, beautiful and kind. She could never compare or be worthy of him.

Struggling, she formed words, "A-actually, I.. I n-need to go." unspoken words burned in her throat-- everything from thanking him, accepting dinner, apologising for what happened and even straight up letting him know he was an angel to her.

Watching the slight pain flash across Sam's face, (y/n) couldn't help but force herself to look away otherwise she would cave to his offer.

"Are... are you sure?" A tinge of concern and disappointment laced his words, sending a sharp pressure into (y/n)'s heart.

She almost gave in right there, but she didn't-- she couldn't, burden him with herself. 

A sigh left her lips as she whispered, "I'm sorry," before continuing on her way, even if her heart remained on that sidewalk with her own personal angel. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah... it's been awhile hasn't it? Hopefully it's worth it, as the story is rewritten and as I figure out the full plot rather than just leaving it where it is this time. 

Don't forget to vote!