CHAPTER 6 - BEEPAW'S POV

A moon has passed by, and the snow began to thaw. The river wasn't frozen, but to be fair it was still really cold to swim in.

The squirrels popped their head out of their homes, and scurried down to collect some food.

The birds began to sing, and the flowers began to bloom.

A shrew scurried out of its burrow, and began looking for something to eat.

The shrew picked up an earthworm and began taking it apart.

WOOSH. Beepaw swiftly pounced on the shrew, and the shrew's tiny squeaks faded, as Beepaw sank his deep fangs into the shrew's neck.

"Nice pounce, Beepaw." Complimented Sparrowheart, nodding. The shrew dangled from Beepaw's muzzle.

Beepaw dug the shrew into the ground, and looked up to Sparrowheart. "When will you teach me how to hunt salmon? I remember Mistlebreeze saying he wants an apprentice who can hunt him salmon."

"Hmm, I didn't teach you?" Asked Sparrowheart, and Beepaw shook his head. Beepaw sniffed the morning breeze, and barely realized that it was.. very cloudy. 

"Ah, well we can learn right now, but I can't assure you it'll be easy." Sparrowheart said, walking towards the river. Beepaw followed after him, and saw the clear river.

It was calming to look at, as Beepaw saw the colorful trout in the river, swimming together as one.

Sparrowheart trotted towards the river, and crouched down. It was a bit different than the normal hunting stance. "Hm? That's different." Meowed Beepaw, and Sparrowheart nodded.

"Yes, your hind legs need to be a bit lower so that your arms can catch the fish swiftly." Sparrowheart said, getting up.

"Hunting fish is harder than land prey. You're accustomed to hunting land prey because you became an apprentice during leaf-bare. Land prey are a last resort in leaf-bare." Explained Sparrowheart.

Beepaw practiced the hunting stance, and Sparrowheart shook his head. "No- that's the normal hunting stance. Put your hind legs lower."

After a lecture and a couple of tries, Beepaw mastered it and Sparrowheart grinned. "The reason our hind legs need to be lower is so that the fish dont see our shadow, and so we can catch the fish easier. Usually, we have to wait until a fish swims too close by."

Sparrowheart turned around towards the river, and did the fishing hunting stance.

Beepaw carefully observed, and Sparrowheart's paws plunged into the icy river, and Sparrowheart quickly finished the fish off.

"You need to finish the fish as quickly as possible, because it can still jump into the river, so keep it away from the water." Sparrowheart said, putting the trout onto the ground.

"Now, you try." Sparrowheart said, his tail pointing towards the river. "Does it also depend on where theres a lot of fish?" Asked Beepaw.

"Yes. If theres a lot of fish in one area, youre probably going to get a better chance of getting a fish."

"But, enough questions for now. Try, shall you?" Sparrowheart pointed towards the river, and Beepaw traced the water and spotted a couple trout fishing towards one area.

He predicted they'd go there, so he quickly got into position. He closely watched the fish, and then;

SWISH. Beepaw grabbed the fish! He struggled to keep it on land, and he forgot to move it away from the water! The fish immediately jumped back in.

"Arghh.." Beepaw said, shaking the water from his fur. Sparrowheart approached him. "It's fine, itll take a couple of tries. No one mastered it when they barely learned it."