RICKY & MITCH.

Sept 18. Monday 7am.

I take a drag from the blunt exhaling another cloud. My own headache woke me out of my sleep. Ever since I been up I just couldn't stop thinkin' bout my mom. I know she didn't leave me at 12 on purpose, but that shit just ain't something you can let go of. It's really something out here I don't know and I can't let anything rest till I know. Killing off my key source was probably way too impulsive and not the best idea, but he wasn't talking bout nothing anyway.

The front door behind me tossed me right back into reality. Jane was bringing me my phone which was ringing. I take my phone thanking her with a nod. Toni was calling and since I've been waiting on news I answered quick as hell.

"Bro code. You there Abel?" Toni and I used to say shit like this when we had to talk on the house phone with each other. That was our cue to make sure no one else was near, that the room was clear, and we were ready for the shit talking.

"Clear. Yeah I'm here nigga. What happened?"

"Well Ma and Stella are fine. This may not last much longer though, she's freaking out about Julius not answering, next step is she's gon go and pay him a visit. I tried to tell her he's just going through it. She know he high-key an alcoholic, so I think she possibly bought it."

"Well shit." I rub my forehead taking a deep breath. I really hope she don't catch onto anything that'll really sell us out.

"On the other hand Ricky went to jail." Great way to lay in on thick.

"Well I came up with a plan for some fast cash. I'll fill you in tomorrow while we eat." For some reason I almost don't want to tell him anything. The urge to rush him off the phone crawled inside me the longer he took to respond.

"Alright. Don't get into too much more without me. I'll see you tomorrow." He hung up.

I tossed my blunt in the ashtray and went inside to the heat. The bitter cold was getting my ass. My nose and fingertips are about to fall off. Henny came home last night, he's been in his room laid up with water and meds for the pain. Luckily nothing was critical. The bullet was removed and he was stitched up which sent him home with a medical bill that hurts to even look at. That shit definitely isn't getting paid back.

Jane was in the kitchen staring between cereals she thinks she's too damn boujee for. I head down the hall and knock on my room door. Lisa had been crying to the point of hysterics and I know girls can be emotional, but that's some shit I don't want to hear, so I slept on the couch.

She groaned in response. I opened the door hoping she wouldn't mind letting me in. "You gonna be okay?" I close the door, taking a seat next to her on the mattress. Did some late night browsing for furniture that finally arrived earlier. I just ain't had the time to put the bed frame together.

I could barely make out a small, "yea." her voice cracked as if she hadn't spoken in a while.

"What happened yesterday? Did anything bad happen?"

"Dooda, he was the one who was shooting. He was calling for me. . . and you."

"Has this nigga ever put his hands on you?" If I know anything about abusive relationships it starts off with empty threats, then they slowly start to become real, then it's the violence, next thing you know that person is missing. Just like my mother. Lisa didn't respond, so I pressed the question again.

"Abel It's not your responsibility to worry about that." She pulled the covers back up to her neck ready to turn away from me.

"You damn right it's not, but I gotta protect the people who sittin' at the same table as me. We're always taught to protect women, this ride or die shit ain't no joke. We really do this." She didn't know that, but Toni and I have never cared to prove ourselves. We know, and that's enough for us.

I saw a grin creep across her face. "Boy please, and who have you killed?" Sometimes it feels as if Lisa refuses to see the bad in people, or take threats seriously. I have a strong feeling that that's what is happening with De'vonte. She doesn't wanna believe the same nigga who sweet talked her into giving it up is the same one ready to go the extra mile.

"Don't worry 'bout it. If I find out he's dead." She laughed in that okay sure tone. "Ricky is also in jail, so I guess that's some more news for you."

She sat up grabbing my hand. "I know you're upset, you little control freak, but you don't have to put everything on yourself. Okay? I'll keep on as long as I have to. I decided not to say anything and let the moment speak for itself. She tangled her pinky in mine and my thumb automatically laid on top of hers. It was our way of showing we got each other.

***

"With all your drug money, you'd think you could afford better," Jane moaned, peeling paint near the door frame as she stood against the bathroom sink.

"How about you get us out of here then." I glare at her.

"You don't think I'm going to be a whore for money now do you?" Her eyebrow rose as if she could never do any wrong.

"You do it for free. I don't think you'd want Toni to find out about that now do you, I heard you two were on the road to a family. He'd be crushed if she knew you'd throw all his effort away. Mmh?" I said into her ear staring at her reflection in the mirror.

"You're really going to stoop that low? Asshole."

"You already knew this. You keep quiet and do me this little favor, I'll do the same for you." I smirked. Jane wasn't that difficult to reel in, as long as she felt like she was getting something from it she'll do it. I know that's exactly why she decided to give Toni another try, she's using him for something.

"I guess."

***

We all besides Henny pile into an uber around 8pm to head for the club. I asked Henny to stay back, so he could catch up on healing and watch the crib. Last night I saw a couple people hangin' around and they looked too damn suspicious.

On the way across the parking lot I give Jane a run down of what she's going to do and what not to do. I don't feel too bad about Jane doing it since she's already halfway there. Next step is getting us paid.

"And who are you exactly?" She gave a daring smirk.

"The nigga you work for." I gave her a nudge inside the door before keeping them both close as I walked them through the club. Approaching Mitch I saw the same blonde chick, she actually showed.

"Abel, foo. What's popping homs? This one yours?" He gestured towards the girl beside him.

"Yea, sign this one off for me too." Mitch took the girls to their locations after I learned that Krystal was the girls name. I stood around watching the lights strobe different colors, people dance without a care, while I sat thinking of my next move.

"Abel," Mitch's voice rose above the music. I turned to face him. "I want to invite you to come and perform on Thursday for the new remodeled club. I know shit difficult with Ricky going to jail and everything."

My chest felt like it was closing in, just as if an oncoming asthma attack was hitting. Are niggas following me and telling my business? "How do you know that?" I could tell he instantly read the worry on my face, he started explaining hella quick.

"Ricky's my vato. My real name is Mitch Modes, but ever since Ricky's pops passed I took his last name, because he's blood. I always got him."

"And you knew I worked with Ricky?"

"He talks about you all the time foo." He smiled, slapping his hand on my back as if I should know. "You and your brother Antonio. Why don't you bring him through? He's the short one right?"

"That's Henny." I tried to hold back a laugh masking it with a subtle head shake. "Toni is the dread head, he not much taller than me tho."

"We had brief talks. How'd you get way down here?"

My throat seemed to close in on itself. I couldn't tell him I murdered my own father, and.. Evelyn shot straight through my mind. Shit. I still haven't spoken to her, and she hasn't reached out either. Something in me was itching to text her and let her know that I'd hit her up tonight, but something else was telling me it was too late. "Just wanted a new start," I choke out.