Chapter Eleven... The Gallery

The expression Call had on his face when he returned sent chills over me. What could have been said to make him mad and mildly horrified. Whatever it was, I hoped my scolding would be gentler.

I chewed at my lip as I stood before the door to Master Rufus's office. Having gotten instructions from a third year girl earlier. No way in hell did I want to enter, but there was also no way in avoiding this conversation. He was my Master, not to mention I was trapped in this large cave system that posed as a school.

"Keep your temper in check and don't say anything stupid Claire." I muttered to myself before I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. I lifted a brow as it swung open to reveal a rather modern looking room.

Steel bookcases filled one wall, and a sleek leather couch, big enough to nap on, stretched along the other. Tacked to one side of the room were pages and pages of what looked like scrawled equations, but with odd markings instead of numbers. They hung above a rough wooden workstation whose surface was blotched with stains and covered with knives, beakers and the taxidermy bodies of weird looking animals. Besides the delicate, geared models that look like mousetraps crossed with clocks, there was a live animal in a small barred cage – one of those lizards with blue flames running along its back. Rufus's desk was tucked into a corner, an old rolltop that was at odds with the rest of the room.

"Clarissa, sit down." Said Master Rufus, clearly indicating I take a spot on his couch. "I want to explain why I brought you to the Magisterium."

"Oh. Gods finally. I have been rather curious." I said as I lowered myself onto the couch, finding that it was more comfortable than I had previously expected.

"First, what do you think of our school so far?"

"Playing games are we?" I lifted a brow as I crossed my arms over my chest. "Fine. I find it to be rather dull and lacking in pertinent information I need for my future. Also your lessons are easy, the clothes are horridly coloured and not overly comfortable and the people here are more concerned about playing at mind games and magic to be thinking of the big picture." I stated locking eyes with him.

"And what exactly do you think this so called big picture is?" I let out a small sigh at his words. He sure loved to beat around the bush, was I to be answering the question of why he brought me here myself?

"Magic isn't just some little game that children play at anymore. It's real and it's dangerous. So why go through the trouble of teaching it in the first place unless there is some ulterior motive? We don't need magic in everyday society for it to function, yet here it is treated like it is the very thing that gives you life. More precious than the air that we breathe. More desired than the water which sustains us. Not to mention the earth is meant to stay under our feet, not be shifted to our whims. How is anyone to see any sort of bigger picture if they're all blinded by something sparkling and temporary."

"I see." My temper sparked at his words. What was it that he could see? "Perhaps you'll find your answers in your books."

"Perhaps you should stop hiding the books that I need." His brow quirked at my words. Whether because he was thrown by it or simply amused I hadn't a guess.

"What you did in there was very clever. You seem to be under the misconception that if you make me angry, I'll send you home. I have no intention of doing so."

"Why?"

"Many years ago I made a mistake. That mistake had grave consequences. I took you on to be part of my penance." I gritted my teeth as his eyes flicked toward the odd mini tornado on his desk. I am to be part of his punishment?! Who did this old man think he was.