The Blue Devil

Tom took the first calm moment he had since the blackout hit last night and used it to plan his escape. Across his kitchen counter, he spread a large map of the western United States with a thick star drawn around San Francisco in the red marker. It went well with the poster of the city skyline Maddie had hung in the garage. All he had to do was to figure out the quickest highway route, and he'd be on his way to her. Tom and Angel began to call her.

"Hey!" came Maddie's voice on the line.

"Whatcha doing?" Angel asked her.

"Just coloring with Jojo and Rachel."

"Ah, that sounds half fun," Tom grinned as he pulled the map and left for the counter. "Hey, exciting stuff here. We had a power outage. The whole town went dark. It was like a sign telling me to get out of Dodge."

Maddie seemed concerned but she let out a chuckle. "Wade must have lost his mind."

"Yeah. And he does not have much to lose. How's your sister? Did she convince you to leave me yet?"

"No, but she did tell me to check your phone for dating apps."

"The only apps on my phone are the ones that came with it," he said.

"Because when you're there..."

"You're family. No way." 

Whump!

Tom looked outside and saw a garbage can rolling slightly and knocked over.

"Racoons?" Tom's eyes lit up as the noise from the garage settled. "The raccoons are back, and they are in for a surprise."

"Your surprise better not be my tranquilizer gun. They're just hungry," Maddie said, reading his mind. "And also, that's for bears."

"Good. Now I know it'll work," Tom said as he gathered a silver dart gun from one of the drawers. "I'm just gonna use it to scare 'em. Possibly to death Love you, honey. Bye!" Tom cut the call off with a swipe of his thumb as Maddie protested. But he knew what he was doing. He just had to shoo the critters off. Perhaps with a warning shot.

Angel followed after him.

Tom crept toward the garage as if he went about to kick the door down to some kind of underworld hideout. That's the kind of thing he'd be doing all day in San Francisco, he was sure. Angel followed him outside and caught her breath. She knows she's not allowed to investigate but her curious mind told her no.

"Wait, dad," Angel protested. "What if it was a monster?"

"These racoons put my partner in the hospital," he said. "But they can't escape justice forever."

As he pulled the door open slowly, a few more boxes slid off a high shelf, and they heard a sound. A tiny voice. Did these small rascals somehow turn on the radio? Angel poked her head from inside.

Tom spun around the corner and leveled the gun on a pile of fallen boxes. "SFPD, pending background check!" he cried out. "Paws in the air!"

And then the creature looked up at them, two eyes glowed like spotlights.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!"

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!"

Before he knew it, Tom's trigger snapped and a dart shot straight into the animal's leg. It stumbled, its eyes both surprised and suddenly glassy, and letting a large golden ring into the air. That's when things got crazy.

The ring landed on Tom's garage, a faint glow rising to an array of sparkles.

Through the middle of the ring, Angel and Tom see his poster of the San Francisco skyline with the Transamerica building dead center.

Then all of a sudden, it wasn't just a picture, it was more like a window into the height of that tower. When the creature finally tipped over and passed out, the ring dropped to the ground. In a second, a brown bag dropped from the animal's paw and slid into the golden window created by the ring. Angel ran up to the creature and picked it up. She stared at its face just before its eyes closed.

Tom blinked and the ring was gone. Its vision of the Transamerica building faded, and all that was left was an overgrown forest creature, and a single ring that was beside Angel.

"What..."

Tom and Angel carried the creature into the house and laid it on the couch. While it slept, Tom took out the quill he'd been carrying around all day. He wasn't sure if this made him feel safer or twice as crazy as he'd ever been.

"The Blue Devil..." Angel whispered. "It's real."

"It's not here to abduct us, is it?" Tom asked.

"I think it seems harmless," Angel said. She slowly began to pet its body and began to examine it. It looked a lot like a hedgehog but more humanoid. She classified it as Erinaceidae, a scientific name for hedgehog. She then stared at the quill and picked it up. "I wonder if this quill matches with it?" She wondered. She lifted it to the creature's head and it is exactly like the quill belonging to that creature. She stroked it carefully until it pricked her finger. She yelped and clutched her finger.

"Are you okay?" Tom asked her.

Angel looked at her finger, a tiny blood droplet emerged from the cut. "I'm fine, but I think something must be important with this ring." She lifted up the golden ring that the hedgehog had and slowly put it on where she had cut her finger. Suddenly, she started seeing things.

She can see an island, a mysterious island from another world. Lush green plant life sprung from the ground in perfect geometric patterns, crystal clear waterfalls cascaded into endless sandy beaches. and the ground twisted and turned not into hills but wild loops. An owl told a young hedgehog to run as she used a ring portal to safety.

The vision faded as Angel blinked her eyes, suddenly by this strange vision. How strange, she thought. That ring must have given her a vision and it's gotten so weird. She tried to move the ring out of her finger but it was stuck. "I can't get it off!" She pulled but it was no use.

"What's happening?" Tom asked. "I'm not in the mood to get probed."

"You think you're worried? I can't even get the ring out!" Angel yelled. She soon gave up. "I still don't understand why, but we need to get this creature to safety." The hedgehog's heavy breathing lightened as Angel picked it up. "Come to think of it, it's real heavy."

Suddenly, something drove at the doorway as Tom and Angel looked. "What the..."

It was an armed truck that had appeared in the driveway. A realization came upon Angel as she knew something. She can see everything about this little creature's origin. "I think they are after the blue devil."

"Who's coming?" Tom asked.

"I don't have time to explain, but you have to help it!" she cried.

That clinched it. Tom had been waiting to hear it his entire life. This was it. A real shot to take action as a cop. Plus, what would Maddie say about a girl who had pricked her finger on a quill?

"Fine. Come with me."