Emerald Eyes

Tom and Angel rattled to San Francisco in the late afternoon. How they ever made it, the policeman couldn't figure it out. But they were just blocks away from the place Maddie was staying in. And if he could find a way to explain to her what the heck was going on, he might have a chance at saving the forest creature and Angel in the process.

"We can't let anyone see it," Tom told her. "Here," He gave Angel a blanket and began to cover the little creature up.

"Come on, buddy. You're gonna be alright," Angel pleaded with him.

As they made it to the steps, Tom knocked frantically on the door to the house and when Maddie's sister, Rachel answered. She took one glance at them before Tom answered, "Hi. Is Maddie here?"

Rachel wasn't interested. "No, no. Not today. Goodbye!" She began to shut the door on them.

"But it's an emergency!" Tom begged, trying to open the door.

"Aunt Rachel, stop! Don't do this! This is important!" Angel cried, pleading.

Maddie heard the commotion and saw what her sister was doing. "Oh, my God! Rachel, let them in!"

After she pulled Rachel away, Tom and Angel hurried in. "Maddie, can we talk?" he asked her.

"Tom, what's going on?!" Maddie asked them. "You're all over the news, I've been trying to call you!"

"I had to ditch my phone so they couldn't track us," Tom told her.

"Ditch his phone?!" Rachel shrieked.

"Track you?!" Maddie gasped.

Then, Jojo came by. She was Rachel's eight year old daughter and she headed up to Tom and Angel, excited. "Uncle Tommy! Angie!"

"Hey Jo," Angel said happily. She patted her on the head, smiling but the girl's mother is still furious.

"Now your niece is an accessory to treason!" Rachel yelled.

"She's not."

"Would you calm down?" Maddie tried to calm her sister down.

"Calm down?! I will not calm down!" Rachel yelled even angrier.

"Enough!"

Angel had enough. She took off the hoodie and showed the hedgehog to Rachel, Maddie and Jojo. They froze in shock at the sight of the creature and there was silence.

Rachel felt lightheaded. "Oh, catch me, Jojo." She fainted completely and fell with a thud.

"Angel? What happened to you? Are you bleeding?" Maddie asked Angel, who took notice of the girl's injured arm.

Angel nodded her head yes, clutching her bloodied arm.

After a few minutes, Tom laid the jacket down and unwrapped the creature in the kitchen. It had been slowly fading since it was tranquilized and Angel getting injured. Now the creature's breathing was growing more shallow.  Maddie's eyes widened and then darted back and forth over the animal's body, immediately shifting into doctor mode. Angel is sitting on a chair as she begins to feel the creature's heart, her arm now cleaned up and dressed in bandages.

"The creature's gonna be okay, right?" she asked nervously.

"I'm a vet, Angel," Maddie reminded her. "I don't even know what I'm looking at here." She put a hand to its chest and two fingers on its neck then she used a heart rate watch on its wrist. "Holy..."

"What?"

"Its pulse is super fast."

Just like me, Angel thought.