Welcome Home

It was a rush. A thrill. A rocket ride to the other side and back again. And it wasn't going anywhere. It felt strange still, all these weeks later to be seen. To be known. To be accepted by these people that he had watched from the outside for years. He didn't have to hide who he was, and even when his speed got out of control and broke something in town, he was never afraid of driving anyone away.

Angel was another thing. She found something that she could never forget. Love. She was in love with an alien hedgehog from another world and they became a team. She transformed into a super natural being with powers of her own.

Things are back to normal and Tom and Maddie are fixing their house from the attack a couple days before. A knock at the front door. Tom answers it to find Commander Walters on the doorstep.

"Mr. and Mrs. Wachowski?" asked the man.

"Yes?"

"A token of appreciation for your government for keeping quiet about recent incidents which never occurred." He handed them an envelope.

"Wonder what it is," Tom wondered.

"Money to fix the house?" Maddie asked.

"You'll see," he said.

Tom opens the envelope, revealing a $50 gift card to Olive Garden from Uncle Sam. "Yeah, heh. The way you said, "You'll see" made me think it was something better than the things we said."

"Have you tried their Never Ending Pasta Bowl? It never ends!"

"That sounds... fancy."

"Well, thank you," Maddie thanked him. "We appreciate the gesture."

"Oh, hey. I guess we can close the file on that Robotnik guy, huh? Just disappeared."

Commander Walters shook his head. "I'm sorry, but no such person exists or ever has existed."

"I wish that were true."

"You haven't, by any chance, been in contact with a certain alien creature since the incident, have you?" he commanded. "Uncle Sam would love to have a chat with him. Very casual. Brunch, perhaps."

"Oh, you mean the little blue guy?" Tom wondered. He shook his head, trying to keep it a secret. "No. No, nothing. No. Doubt we'll ever hear from him again."

"Very well."

"Okay. Thank you."

After Walter's left, Tom closed the door. "To be honest, I'm pretty pumped about the pasta bowl," he said.

Tom and Maddie walk into the living room and Sonic pokes his head up from behind the couch.

"So, do you guys wanna watch a movie or what?" the hedgehog chirped.

"Sorry, buddy," Maddie said. "It's a school night. It's time for you to go back to your cave."

"What?! It's 3:00 in the afternoon!"

"You know how you get when you're tired," Tom replied.

"Me? I'm not like anything," he groaned. "Ugh, you guys are so uncool!"

"Yeah, yeah, we know."

Angel poked her head from behind and saw Sonic leaving. "Hey, buddy, where are you going?"

"You said I have to go back to my cave," said Sonic.

"We did," Tom added.

Tom opened up the attic door to a bedroom. A real one. The walls were hung with all his posters, an old school boombox propped on a desk and on a shield along the wall were the last processions somehow salvaged from Robotnik's wrecked lab, and a familiar face of Sergeant Sprinkles. It's not just that, It had some of Angel's stuff, too.

"Oh, my-- Are you kidding me?" Sonic gasped. "I can't believe it. How did you-- It's-- it's all here."

Angel climbed up as well as the blue hedgehog zip around his new home.

"Look at this! Are you kidding?! And the beanbag?! No way! How did you even get this?! And you got it all the way over–"

"You put my stuff in here with him?" Angel gasped.

"Of course, we did," Tom said.

Angel giggled as Sonic jumped around on his bed. "I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it!"

He then wrapped Angel around and hugged her close.

"Well, welcome home," Maddie said.

"Thank you, so much," Sonic beamed.

Life moves pretty fast, but finally Sonic wasn't alone anymore. He has a new friend. And who knew, maybe he'd get a chance to make even more friends down the road?