The Drones Invade

Tom had led Angel while she held the creature into her arms to her bedroom. It might be the only place to hide.

"All right, stay here. And be quiet."

"Okay." Angel nodded. She then began to hide. As soon as he was gone, Angel knew that they needed to escape fast. She grabbed her backpack and started packing up her stuff. She then began to wrap the hedgehog into her jacket so no one would know. "Hang in there," she whispered to him. "I'll protect you."

Suddenly, a drone flies into the bedroom and starts scanning the area. Oh, no. She has to do something and get out of here or else that machine will find her. Desperately, Angel quickly stuffed the hedgehog into her backpack and pulled out her slingshot from her drawers. She began to put a rock on the slinger and slowly began to pull it back. Just as the two drones are close, she flings the rock onto the dresser. With them distracted, Angel ran out of the bedroom and locked the door so they wouldn't come out. She has to tell Tom that they had to leave.

The only thing between Robotnik and a perfectly automatic world was the US Constitution. If he could shred the blasted thing in the name of order, he would. But as it stood, he legally couldn't stride into any private domicile in search of the creature. So he had to outthink this simple country policeman.

"Hello there! Can I help you?" answered the cop. He looked like a rube.

Robotnik forced a smile. "Good morning, my rural chum. I'm... from the power company, investigating the blackout. If you don't mind, I'd like to take a few readings inside your house?"

"No kidding! You're from the power company?" the hick stated the obvious. "You must know my buddy Spencer. We play softball together."

"Ah, Spence. He's a good man," Robotnik replied.

"Yeah. Come on in!"

"Great."

"Take all the readings you need. Except, doesn't the power company usually take their readings from outside the house?" the man leaned into Robotnik's face. "That way they can check them even if you're not home. Also, my buddy Spencer works for the gas company, and he's more of an Ultimate Frisbee guy. So, you want to tell me why you think I'm dumb enough to just let you walk inside my house?"

Dr. Robotnik ground his teeth. "I'm sorry, Mister..."

"Wachowski. But everyone just calls me Tom. Except my dentist, he calls me Tim. But it's gone on for so long that it would be weird if I corrected him."

"Well, Tom Whose-Dentist-Calls-Him-Tim, you may have noticed that this entire town has been experiencing a power outage."

"Yep, no lights. Picked up on that."

"Twenty minutes ago, I tracked an energy pulse with a similar signature to the one that caused this disruption." Robotnik's heat seeking drone hovered just above the west side of the house, and it was sending all relevant data on an odd infrared mammal to his smart glasses. The creature was in the house.

"Listen, Mister–"

"Doctor. Dr. Robotnik," Robotnik introduced. "But my dentist calls me Rob."

"Look, uh, Dr. Robotskeez," Tom said with a sneer. "Um, I'm sure what you're here for is very serious, but it's got nothing to do with me. You can ask anyone in town. Everyone knows me."

"I bet they do." Robotnik replied. "I'm sure you're hella popular with the Jebs and the Merles and Billy Bobs in this glorified gas-station rest stop. Betcha go way back to the days of tippin' cows and playin' in a jug band! And maybe someday you'll achieve your goal of getting a Costco card or adopting a Labradoodle. But the reality is, I surpassed EVERYTHING YOU'RE EVER GOING TO DO... before I was a toddler. I was spitting out formulas while you were still spitting up formula."