Chapter 2

Abi opened her eyes and gasped,  as she felt someone shake her,  she looked around and the bus was empty. "wake up girl, this isn't a shelter." the bus driver snapped.  Abi's eyes were wide as she looked outside and saw the sun was already coming down. She took out her phone and saw 12 missed calls from Maddy. "shit" she hopped out of the bus and rang Maddy. "Hello? Abi? where the hell are you? it's been 4 hours?!" Maddy yelled in a panic. "I know, I know, I accidentally fell asleep on the bus I'm at the train station I'm just going to put money on my card and take a train back. "Okay call me when you're here," Maddy said. "why?" abi asked suspiciously.  "well it's the end of the year and I wanted to celebrate so I invited Kevin, and we're just going to"  "Yeah! I get it!" abi interrupted.  "what? I was going to say watch a movie." Maddy giggled. "Mhm, I'll call you when I'm there." abi said. "okay bye." Maddy hummed. Abi hung up the phone and began walking towards the train station to put money on her card. Abi walked up to the machine and began pressing when a man limped towards her.

"hey dear you have a dollar you can give me?" he asked. Abi looked at him once and tried to not make contact again. "no sorry I don't have anything," she mumbled. The man stood there with his hand out and frowned. "You putting money on that card, you telling me you don't get a dollar I can borrow?"

he budged. Abi rolled her eyes she was starting to get irritated she already had a shitty day, she could imagine that he had a worse day but she had already said no, what was his deal? "look sir If I had a dollar to spare I would have gave it to you-" before she can even finish her sentence the man snatched the card out of her hand and began running. "You motherfucker! it's empty anyways!" she yelled, "And for your information! You thief you can't borrow a dollar when I'm never going to see you again!!" she yelled and stomped. As the few people in the train station looked over at her. Abi looked around and her eye caught the cop. "arent you going to catch him?" she pointed in the direction the man ran. the cop's eyes immediately focused somewhere else pretending to not see her. abis eyes widened. "you have to be kidding me." she said in disbelief. Abi paid for a ticket went upstairs to the platform and waited when she felt her phone vibrating, she took her phone out and saw it was her aunt calling.

"Hello?" she said. "yes Abiola I just finished talking with your mother." her aunt answered. "oh gee really?" Abiola said sarcastically. "what was that?" her aunt asked. abis eyes widened realizing what she had done. "nothing." "Anyways you're mother told me that your school year has come to an end, and summer break has started, are you ready to come home? I have a couple of things I need help with." as her aunt went on and on and on about summer plans, a rat began to crawl on the platform under the benches, and people began to run away. At this point, Abi tuned out her aunt and began staring at the rat.

She hated the city! She hated the smell, the people, the food, the treatment, the weather, and the stupid rats!! fuck those stupid rats?! "Abiola!" Abi snapped out of it when her aunt called her name. "uhhhh, on second thought I forgot to tell you I have this mandatory summer class, I didn't do so well this year, haha, whoops! so I'll just uh call you when I have the time." she said. "what? Abiola! what do you mean?" her aunt panicked. "byyyeee." abi hung up her phone and took a long sigh. As her train arrived she got in and took a seat, she promised herself she was not going to fall asleep this time. , she looked out the window, it was getting dark now, and all that was going, through her mind was the tropical island.