00

+-[ Mizuki Solace ]-+

"Dad, come on! Pleeeease!"

"No, Mizuki–"

"But, mom said you'd tell me one more bedtime story if I ate all my veggies!"

"She did?"

"Mhm!"

Her father sighed, while Mizuki looked up at him with a stubborn pout. "Alright, alright," he stood up and walked over to the big bookshelf next to the window. "Lets see, which one do you want to hear tonight, kiddo?" Her dad asked as he started to scan the book titles.

"Hmm..." Mizuki put her index finger to her chin as she thought. She didn't remember the names of the many bedtime story books her parents had bought her, only the characters and plots.

Her dad saw she was struggling to pick a book, and picked one out by random.

"What about 'The Angler Fish and Rabbit'?" He asked. Mizuki looked at the cover. It helped her remember what it was about.

"Nuh-uh. I already know that one." She shook her head.

"Haven't me and your mother already read all of these to you before?"

"I don't know."

Her dad sighed again and put the book back.

"What about 'Felicia Fox's Picnic Party'? You know that one?"

"Mhm!"

"'Alexandra Piglet'?"

"Mhm!"

"'Sleepy Time Shadow'?"

"Yup!"

This process repeated a few more times, until Mizuki's father had named a little over an entire shelf's worth of books.

"I have to ask your mother to get you more bedtime story books..." He mumbled, turning around to his daughter. She stared up at him, awaiting her bonus story of the night.

"How about I tell you an extra story tomorrow? I'll pick something up from the town in the afternoon, and we can get ice cream together after." He suggested.

"But, mom promised me one tonight... and you're going to forget it tomorrow!" She protested.

"You... have a point." Her dad thought for a moment. After a few seconds of Mizuki somewhat patiently waiting, her dad smiled and sat down next to her bed. "Alright, I have an idea. How about go and look through the attic for one of your mom's old bedtime stories?"

+^~[]~^+

+^~[]~^+

Mizuki let out a small gasp. "Mom read bedtime stories too?"

Her dad laughed. "Of course! I'll go find one for you, so stay put, kiddo."

"Mkay!" Mizuki watched her father leave the room with a grin on her face. She hugged her tiger stuffed animal out of excitement.

It only took a few minutes until her dad returned with a book.

It had a white cover that was faintly stained with dirt and dust. The back didn't have any words like other books did, just some small drawings that reminded Mizuki of how one of her classmates drew. On the front, there were other small drawings like on the back. In the middle, there was a fancy looking handwriting. Mizuki couldn't understand what it said, though.

' Grandma's Black Cat '

That's what the cover read.

"What is it?" Mizuki asked.

"I think this was a book your grandma wrote for your mom when she was little," Her father answered. Does that mean grandma had bedtime stories too? Mizuki wondered, but decided not to ask. She was too excited for the story, and didn't want to wait any longer.

"Alright, get comfy, kiddo."

Mizuki obliged and laid down with a big smile on her face.

"Ahem, Once upon a time," Her dad had put his narrator voice on.

"There was an old woman named Yuna. It was early December, and Christmas was approaching. The old woman had no idea what to give to her family. She was too old to go out to the town and get something herself, but it'd ruin the surprise if she asked someone else to do it. She couldn't make something from home, because her bones were too fragile to do things just right. After considering what she wanted to give them for a long while, it came to her when she was reading a book. A black cat! Sweet and pretty under a moonlit night, and kind and caring during the sunshine's light. She nodded to herself as she confirmed it,

'Yes, a black cat. That's what my family would love.' but one problem remained, how would she get the black cat? It was quite troublesome, indeed. She decided to take a stroll in her backyard as she pondered the question of 'How will I get a black cat for my family?'. Oh, how fortunate! There in the snow, sticking out like a sore thumb from the white, laid a black cat. It was sleeping peacefully. The old lady picked up the black cat and brought her inside.

She named her newfound feline friend 'Silk'. The grandma kept the cat hidden in her closet. She used some old pet bowls and some fish that her son had brought home to feed Silk, and some water from the kitchen faucet to keep her hydrated. When Christmas morning came along, Yuna's family loved Silk! They were so happy. As the laughter and smiles filled the living room, Yuna thought to herself 'Isn't it funny how fate works out?'."

It is funny how fate works out, as Mizuki had only just faded into sweet dreams as the story ended. It was a nice story. Maybe Mizuki should ask her parents for a cat in the morning...

[ A/N: WOOO! Prologue done! Honestly, the both of us really enjoyed writing this! The next chapter will be a fun read :) You'll see what I mean next chapter. - Until next time, Peach.]

[A/N: OoooOooooOoooooo BOO. Hehe I scared you didn't I :3 - So long, Sleepy]