01

+-[ Third person ]-+

It was a normal day for both Kara and Mizuki, except that they had to move. Ever since their house caught on fire, They had to find a new place to stay. The reason for it catching fire? Derrick, their father told them that a small forest fire started in their backyard, catching the barbecue's gas tank and causing it to explode. The moving truck went along a dirt forest-like road. The different colors of leaves, falling as the truck drove by made it feel like a fairytale. Fall was so quiet at this time of year.

"Kara..?" Mizuki looks over at Kara, who was asleep. She smiled and went back to looking out the window. Their father, who looked tired and done with life, needed to get Mizuki's attention.

"Miz?" He called, keeping his eyes on the road.

"Yes dad? Did you need something?" She replied, looking away from the window and towards her dad.

"Could you wake up your brother for me?"

"Okay..." She lightly nudges Kara, waking him up. Kara moves slightly, before mumbling,

"Five...more minutes..." Kara turned around, facing away from the sunlight.

"Kara you have to get up...Dad needs you awake..." Miz spoke lightly, trying to be as kind as she possibly can.

"...Hmm?..." Kara held his head up and looked at his father. He opened one eye, then blinked. He rubbed his eyes with his hands, as the light was a bit bright. "Are we there yet?" Kara asked.

"No, but just out of the forest is a gas station. Do you want anything?" Their father asked.

"What's a gas station?" Mizuki asked.

"It's a place where you can buy gas, snacks, and even small plushies if you're lucky." Kara explained, before turning back to their dad. "I'll have some of those tiny, chocolate donuts, please." Kara answered his question.

"Woah! Can I get a plushie?" Mizuki asked. Kara noticed that she was giving their dad the puppy eyes, most likely unintentionally, and stifled a small laugh.

"I don't know if we'll be able to get one, kiddo." Their dad answered. Mizuki pouted a bit, but nodded.

"I understand."

Kara looked down and picked up the small duffle bag on the floor of the car.

They lived at their grandparents, Derrick's parents, house for about 2 months while their dad got everything settled. Everything they owned burnt down in the mansion, besides what they had on their person at the time, so everything in the bag came from his grandma and grandpa. Except for one thing.

He opened the black bag, and moved some things around to reach what he was looking for. A white ribbon. It was a little stained when they first arrived at their grandparents house, but grandpa washed it really well. All the ash, dirt, soot, and such were washed right off. It was even cleaner than before the fire.

There wasn't anything particularly special with the ribbon. He just really liked it. Maybe it was because it was the only physical object he had left from the old days, or maybe he just got emotionally attached too easily. Both were probably true. He kept it in his hand until they arrived at the gas station.

"Wow! So this is a gas station!" Mizuki exclaimed, stepping out of the moving truck. It was a bit of a fall, but not enough to do any damage.

"Careful, kiddo. Come on, Kara, let's go inside." Their dad spoke. Kara nodded, tucking the ribbon into his sweater pocket.