viii. but i can't help falling in love with you

this chapter contains warnings for the following: bruises, injury, medical inaccuracies, blood, scars, talks of abuse

"Everything about it says it was just a random break-in—"

Price hums, clearly not happy with the answer.

"—the guy's prints weren't in the system, and he didn't have any affiliated markings or tattoos," Ghost continues, hands gripping tight around the back of Soap's chair.

"We asked around on our ends," Alejandro sighs, gesturing between himself and Valeria. "No one recognizes him."

"We haven't heard anything either, but I have Ayah keeping a lookout for anything new," Farah adds from Price's left side, trying to add some small amount of comfort to a clearly upset Price.

"It was probably some guy looking to score," Kyle reasons from the chair across from her. The dining room lapses into silence as Price sits in thought, arms crossed and fingers drumming against his bicep.

"We should ask the bird," Nik cuts in. "If it's someone she knows, this could be a targeted attack against her, not the club."

"Let her sleep," Price says, leaving no room for argument. Nik gives him a questioning look but nods and stays silent.

"We could keep a set of eyes on the hotel for a few weeks, see if anyone comes lookin' around?" Soap suggests.

"We can't spare anyone right now," Ghost huffs. "Not with the way things are."

"But—"

A soft knock draws the room's attention to the door leading to the sitting room.

It's the worst anyone has seen you look. Dressed in leggings and a maroon sweater that's a little big on you, you look exhausted and run-down, with deep purple bruises lining your neck.

"He-ey—" you croak out, wincing as you give a haggard cough.

Rudy's on his feet immediately, guiding you to the closest chair, the one directly opposite Price's seat at the head of the table. He sits you down as you try to clear your throat.

"I told you, no talking," he chides, gently tilting your head back to lightly press his fingers against the bruises, just like he had when Price brought you here last night. You sigh through your nose, giving a quick sorry in sign language.

"How are you feeling?" Alejandro asks. You open your mouth to answer and shut it promptly when Rudy sends you a warning look. You shuffle, reaching into the pocket of your leggings to pull out your phone.

You type for a quick second before your phone chimes, and a robotic voice answers for you, "Like I almost got choked out by a man twice my size." That earns you a few chuckles, though Price looks less than amused.

You type again, a quiet beat before the voice in your phone asks, "What did you do with him?"

There are a few glances around the table, most landing on Price as if they're unsure whether they're allowed to answer.

"He's taken care of. No need to worry," Price answers. You nod, trying not to hit Rudy's fingers with your chin.

"Did you...recognize him at all?" Roach asks. "Maybe you've seen him around the hotel or...?"

"Roach," Price warns.

"It's a fair question," Nik scoffs. "We need to know if this was random or if someone's going after her."