Chapter 3 | Regret

I got off the train early the next morning. There were no more problems between the passengers so I could rest in peace.

I hugged the little belongings I had close. You never know when someone might try to steal from you.

I had a switchblade in my jacket. I held onto it. I would never have to confidence go use it, it was just to scare people if they tried to mess with me.

I decided to go buy a ticket to Arkansas because it was the only place I could get to that would get me to Tulsa in a timely manner. I was already tired if trains.

They told me that the tickets were sold out. How many people are going to fucking Arkansas?!

I decided to find a storage cart and I jumped on that when security was looking through. I hid behind a stack of boxes and put some on top of me so they would think to look where I was. I still had everything, so I leaned against the wall and decided to rest.

This ride was worse. I was on a cold metal floor and it was quite chilly. I was exposed to the conditions and the metal was obviously cold because it is always cold.

I was being pushed around as the train bounced along the tracks. The ride was anything but smooth. I hated it.

Finally, the long, relentless ride was over. All I had to do was wait for them to open the door. So I waited, still hiding in the boxes.

The door opened, but I stayed hidden until I knew I would be able to get out without them seeing me. When there was chance, I took it and ran out.

I then bought one more ticket that would take me to Tulsa, just an hour before it leaves. So I waited in the station until it was time.

When it was time to board, I found a seat where I was sure nobody would sit, and nobody did. In fact, there weren't a lot of people at all. Maybe not a lot of people are going this time around.

I wasn't able to sleep on the cart because it was very uncomfortable, so I decided to sleep now. The ride was only going to be a few hours.

...

The train slowed down, causing me to wake up. I double checked I had all my belongings, which I did. I recollected myself and got ready to get off the train.

There was only me and one other person that left the station. The rest were trying to get another train ride. I found that quite odd, but I ignored it.

I got a lot of weird looks when I arrived, but I was unsure about why. I went into a bathroom to clean myself up. I was a mess, which explains all the stares.

I did my best to clean myself up. I didn't realize until now that Dallas probably wouldn't be here. I knew this is where he went first, but he probably left by now. Why'd I come here?

I felt regret. I left thinking this was a good idea, that I would find my brother I haven't seen in a year and a half. My best friend thinks I hate him and he doesn't even know I went so far. I don't even half enough money to get me back to New York.

I walked through the unfamiliar area, light on my feet, dizzy, hungry, and tired. I don't even know my way around. I'm lost. In more ways than one.

I was in a poor looking area. The houses looked fun down, most with peeling paint and some with old trash in the yards. None of the houses were well taken care of, neither were the lawns.

Johnny's POV

I was walking with Sodapop, Steve, and Ponyboy. We were on our way back to the Curtis house. Dally was supposed to be there later. I don't know about Two-bit. He could honestly be anywhere, probably getting drunk and hitting on blondes.

We all saw a girl walking alone, in which Steve and Soda made a bet if Steve could pick her up or not. I honestly wanted to see this.

"Hey Johnnycake, do ya think I could pick her up?" Steve asked me.

"Uh, yeah." I lied, which he bought. He has quite the ego.

Steve started speed walking in the girl's direction, causing us to wait and see if he would get slapped.

Ava's POV

Some guy walking over brought me out of my thoughts. He walked right up to me, making me suspect him to mug me or something, so my guard was brought up

"Hey, doll." He said with a grin on his face, revealing his buck teeth. I didn't know whether to threaten him, walk away, or slap him. I was tired and done with everything, so I didn't think through rationally. I slapped him, square across the face and began to walk away. He was left stunned.

I suddenly got a dizzy spell, so I stopped in my tracks. He snapped out of it and carefully approached me, this time he had a soft expression on his face.

I saw some other guys coming and I thought the worst. I didn't have energy to do anything. To my surprise, they got me to sit down and relax. They were being kind to me, but I was too out of it to remember anything specific.

After a few minutes my mind and vision started to clear up. I looked at the boys who were around me.

There were the two next to me, the kid I slapped and another boy who looked to be around his age. He was wearing a flannel.

There were two others, one who looked like the one in the flannel and a shy looking one in a jean jacket.

The one in the jean jacket was far off to the side watching while the other one was a little closer, staying out of the way. I felt kind of embarrassed, so I began to stand up.

"Hey, hey. Sit down for a sec." The one in the flannel said.

"I'm-I'm fine...I'm all good." I said breathlessly. All I was thinking about was getting away from these people, no matter how nice they were being to me. They could still be out to hurt me.

I stumbled away, but the one in the jean jacket put his hand on my shoulder. I turned to face him. I was going to yell, but something in his eyes stopped me.

I don't know what the something was. Kind of afraid, but determined, big like a puppy's. I relaxed a little, but I was still on high guard, just from looking into his eyes. I then stopped myself from feeling relaxed, I have stuff to figure out.

"Listen, I gotta go. I'm okay." I said, beginning to walk away.

"Wait!" I heard one of them called out, it was the one I slapped.

"What's your name?" He asked.

"Uh...Ava." I then walked away, this time I didn't stop and kept walking. They knew my first name, but what could they really do with that information?

1179 Words

Published 11:36 p.m. November 12th, EDT