Chapter 6 | So it's Settled?

We were all silent for a few moments. Nobody knew what to say in this moment. It was very awkward. The only thing going through my head was that I needed to get out of Tulsa.

 I had very excessive makeup in the picture of me in the paper. I didn't look the same, but I was still recognizable.

The only reason Dally could recognize me was because he had only ever seen me without makeup or very little, just enough to make myself look nice.

If they knew I was here and had people looking for me, it was just a matter of time before I was caught. I need to leave, but that means leaving Dally behind, and I just found him again.

"I should go... The cops'll be lookin' for me." I went to walk away.

"No, they won't find you if I can help it. You can stay here." He said. He sounded tough when he said this.

Why would he care anyway, he just left me alone in New York. I didn't have anybody but Eric, and I messed that up bad.

Suddenly, I was angry. He left me, why does he care now.

"Why are you acting like you care? You just left me alone in New York." I had tears in my eyes. "I'm trying my best to hear you, but I can't." I wanted to cry and scream, but it just came out as a pained whisper.

"Ava." He said almost in a warning tone.

"No, why did I come here to find you?" I asked myself. "You'll probably leave me again anyway." I wanted him to feel what I felt. I wanted to make him feel just as bad, but I didn't have the guts. I knew deep down I love him and I need him if I'm going to survive, but I didn't want to admit it.

"Ava please." Was all he said. For the first time in a long time, I noticed something in his eyes that was almost unrecognizable.

Regret, pleading, like he gave a damn about me. I was just so mixed up. I didn't know what to say. I didn't even know what to think.

"I'm gonna get caught. I should've just surrendered back in New York." I said. I was still worried about what the consequences would be.

"Ava, you'll be fine, we can hide ya until things settle down." He said.

Then something came to mind. Where the fuck does he live? He can't get a house yet and they wouldn't let him with his record. Maybe he stayed with friends, so staying with him would be awkward.

"Where the hell do you live by the way?" I asked.

"He lives in a bar." Pony said when Dally didn't respond right away.

"Only Dally." I muttered to myself. "Well I'm here now and I'm not living in a fucking bar."

"You can stay with us." Pony suggested.

"I barely know you." I said.

"Actually, the kid's onto somethin'. You need to stay somewhere, don't ya?" He asked with sass in his voice.

"Yeah fine, whatever." I said, rolling my eyes.

Johnny stayed quiet, I almost forgot he was there. He looked pretty tense and was staying quiet. There's something in his eyes that is always there. Fear, maybe? But he also looked like he win in a fight, if you ignore the look of fear in his eyes.

"So it's settled?" I asked, snapping out of my thoughts. This whole thing is still pretty confusing.

Pony shrugged, looking at Dally for an answer.

"Yeah, I guess. At least if Darry's alright with it."

There's more of them? I thought to myself.

——————————————————————————

591 Words

Published December 14th, 2023 at 9:04 a.m. EDT