Chapter 5 | Dallas Winston

Ava's POV

I woke to the sun coming over the horizon. I was outside and it was quite chilly. I checked my pockets and I still had my wallet and switchblade. Where was I?

After a minute, everything came back to me. The fire, Eric, the woods, the train, those people I met...It all came back.

My mind was foggy, I had a very bad headache, I was nauseous, and my nose was runny. I felt so bad. I need to find a place to stay, but where could I stay with no money?

Johnny's POV

Ponyboy started pounding on the door at Buck's. It was quiet, since it was the morning. I still had the newspaper in my hand.

After a few more minutes, the door opened. It was Buck.

"The hell you kids want?" He asked rudely, "It's too early to be pounding."

"We just want to see Dal." I said. Buck rolled his eyes and went to shut the door. Without thinking, I put my hand on the door to stop it from closing.

"Come on man, this is important, just get 'im for us." I was losing my patience.

Again he rolled his eyes. "Fine. But I better not see you two kids again, understand?" Pony and I both nodded quickly in response. He closed the door and we were left, waiting.

"What are we gonna say?" Pony asked. I just realized we never thought of that.

"I don't know, man." I replied.

Dallas opened the door and just gave us both a glare.

"It's early, what the fuck do you want?" He asked tiredly.

I didn't know what to say and it didn't look like Pony had an idea either. I gave Dally the newspaper. He took it.

I pointed to where the article was and silently waited, unable to watch him as he read it. I didn't want to see the look hon his face.

"Holy shit." He said. Both Pony and I looked up at him.

"I don't think she'd come here, she's too smart for that." He said.

"She's here, Dally. We saw her yesterday, but we didn't know."

"God...Arson?" He asked. I think it was rhetorical.

"I have to find her, she can't be on her own." Just for one singular moment, I saw the fear in his normally cold, dull eyes. Then it went back to normal, but that's something I'll never forget.

Ava's POV

I searched for a free place to stay, but I couldn't find anywhere. I was about to look for a shed when I saw two of the boys from yesterday with one new guy I haven't seen before. I was about to turn the other direction, but I stopped.

I swear that was...

No...

Is it?

Could it be?

Dallas?

No, it can't...

Is it actually him...

Oh my god...

"Dally..." I whispered to myself. Did I want to approach him or walk away. Dally and the boys all stopped to look at me and I looked at them. Uh, awkward.

I went to walk away, but they quickly approached me. Shit...what am I going to do.

"Ava?" Dally said.

"Dal." That was all I could get out. I was so in shock to see him. So in shock I could almost cry, but I couldn't. Tough girls don't cry.

I couldn't control it and tears started to flow. I know Dally doesn't like hugs, but I gave him one anyway.

"It's you..." I said.

I never thought in a million years he would hug me back, but he did. I let go of him.

"Arson, seriously?" He asked me.

"How did you..." he then showed me a paper. I looked at the article.

"Shit." Then I realized I've never sweared in front of Dallas. He gave me a weird look.

"A lot has happened...alright? We don't have to talk about it, especially right now with your...friends here." I said. I just wanted to forget about it.

"Now, let's figure out what's happening next." I changed the subject.

630 Words

Published December 2nd 9:57 p.m. EDT