Missing Files

Russia 3rd Person POV:

After Japan had disappeared around a corner, Russia just turned around and continued walking. Whatever goes on inside her head was her thing, and if she wanted to tell him, she would have. He had better things to do than chase her down, anyway. 

Like meeting up with Germany. 
Strolling through the almost empty city, he thought back to the times when he had been on his missions, during a quiet city time like this. 
It had been a fine morning, crisp and cool like this one. Snow was littered around like always in the winter, which made it easier for him to follow the footprints that ran through. It had been days since the start of the mission he had received: to capture a big-time thief. Lots of records were kept safe, and within time, a pattern began to form. 

Because even the most practiced mind of everybody has a pattern. Even America, although his pattern was to be as unorganized as humanly possible. 

When he got to the café, he shook his head. There was another time for reminiscing about the past.  The doorbell jingled as he entered, and a woman waved at him. "Good morning! What can I get for you?" 
He nodded to Germany, who was tapping away furiously at his laptop, before pulling out his wallet. “A large cappuccino with some whipped cream on top, please.” 
She nodded. “That will be ten eighty-five.” 

Scanning his card in, he signed for the drink and waited as she got it ready. As it was early in the morning, she was the only one working, but he didn’t mind waiting. Plus, Germany looked pretty occupied with his work. 

He only had an inkling as to what Germany wanted them to talk about. Something about files, although Russia didn’t know what type or why they would be so important in Germany’s line of work. 

Russia himself was a field agent, and the detective agency trusted him enough to look through files without hindrance from anywhere and at any time, which was what helped him catch criminals faster. Japan had a similar job, although because of her tendency to snoop for information even while not working, she was restricted to gaining specific knowledge only about her case when she was on one. 

Germany wasn’t a field agent, nor was he a Logistics detective either. He was the country who tried to solve past disputes and match the criminals who were suspected of doing a certain crime, so that in the future, if they see a similar behavior in another country, they could safely assume what that country might be doing. 

Certain files weren’t really needed, in Germany’s case, and all he really used for the most part was past history documents and knowledge on current illegal activity. 
“Here’s your coffee. Do you want a receipt?” 

He blinked, snapping out of his thinking. “Oh, thanks. You too.” 
She tilted her head and a smirk grew on her lips, making Russia’s head fumble around for what he could have said wrong, and his eyes widened. “Uhh, I meant, um, no, I don’t need the rrreceipt. Thanks though,” he stammered, taking the drink and speeding for Germany’s table. 

It was no better over there. 
“Smoothly done,” Germany chuckled, stretching his arms above his head. “I almost thought you were a detective there, for a second.” 
Russia narrowed his eyes at him. “I could leave.” 

“Oh, no, no, no.” He waved his hand, relaxing into his slumped over position on the keyboard. “It’s not that bad. But it was funny.” His wolfish grin made his sharp teeth flash, reminding Russia of a memory from long ago, and he eternally shook himself. 

Stay in the present. 
Shrugging, he replied with a simple, “Yeah.” The two sat there for a minute, just submerging in the other’s presence. 

“You put on a nice Christmas party,” Germany offered, taking a sip of his own drink, something that tasted close to charcoal and gas, and Russia wrinkled his face at the remembrance. He couldn’t understand how some countries could easily swallow down a cup of dark roast.