Chapter 29

Audrey's eyebrows furrowed in disbelief as she listened to me narrate the weekend's occurrences and why I've been acting like a fugitive since Monday.
"So, you didn't say anything else? The guy pretty much confessed his feelings and you didn't even acknowledge them?" She voices her disbelief, a touch of irritation very evident in her tone.

"What else could I have possibly said, Audrey?" I whisper in defense, signaling her to keep it down.
News travels around school fast, and the last thing I want right now is for any of this to get out.

"He caught me unawares. I didn't know what to say! Plus, he didn't actually confess his feelings. He just confessed to how insecure and jealous he was of Jake," I rattle on, breathless from the mouthful I just uttered, and also from the panic was beginning to feel inside.

"Exactly, Mandy!! That's exactly the point! Why get jealous, if he doesn't feel anything for you? Have you thought about that?!"

Yes, I have.
I've considered that possibility.
I mean, why exactly should he even be feel jealous when all he sees me as is just a friend? It literally makes no sense.
But I can't just assume anything right now...I can't conclude that his jealousy means anything.

"I have thought about it, Audrey. But I can't just assume that he likes me. Or even loves me! I mean, what if he doesn't? Then what? I'm left disappointed and hurt? I can't do that to myself, Aud!" I whisper my frustrations.

I know Audrey probably thinks I'm crazy, but I'm not entirely wrong over here....and she knows that too!
She stares at me for a while before releasing a long, deep sigh.

"I hear you loud and clear, Mandy, but it's been three whole days! How long exactly are you planning on avoiding him?" She switches topics and I smile lightly as I go over the past three days in my mind.

I'd resorted to hiding from Randy all week because I'm not ready to face him...not yet, at least.
I wouldn't even know what to say to him and I don't want to end up saying the wrong thing.
So, until I figure out the right things to say, I'm gonna just avoid him.

"I don't know..." I finally mumble.

Audrey's eyes widen in response.
"You don't know?" She mimics me before slamming her locker shut.
"You do know you can't avoid him forever, right?"

"Erm, hello, I beg to differ. The school year's almost over. Which means, if I keep at it just a bit longer, I might actually never see or even have to talk to him until the next school year, by which time he'd probably even forget who I am and then I wouldn't have to worry about all this anymore! Plus, I know his everyday schedule so that helps! See, problem solved! Now all I need is for you to-"
"You're INSANE!!!" She half yells and we both burst out into laughter.

Yes, I really am insane!
Insane and delusional.

"Mandy, he's totally killing me with the 'Hey Aud, have you seen Mandy around?' And I don't like lying to him about not knowing where you are when I know damn well you're just avoiding him! It's just crazy!! You have got to get yourself together!"

"I knowwwww, but bear with me," I plead with her.

"You have until tomorrow, Mandy. Find a way to talk to him and clear this mess up!" She warns me with her big sister voice.

"But that's too soon," I protest right away.
I'd been so focused on hiding from Randy, I didn't have time to think about when it all had to end, and how exactly I'd do that.

"Until tomorrow, Mandy. Because if he asks me where you are one more time I'm telling him the truth. Also, I'd like to sit at the table and eat my lunch like a normal human being, Mandy!"