xChapter 74 - Abandonment (3)

Author's Note ~ Hey just letting you know for this chapter, whenever you see text that is spoken entirely in italics / slanted text, it's going to be dialogue that Hunter is saying to Marcus in the present. Kinda like the two best friends storyline.

______________________

"Back when I was a kid, my dad was always busy working for most of the day."

A young Hunter Huntingson runs down the halls of his family's home.

"So the person I always had to rely on was..."

The young Hunter trips but is caught and lifted into the air by his mother; Kelling Huntingson.

"My mom."

As the child Hunter giggles, Kelly sets him down. She's a young parent, only 24 when her son was 5. She has long light brown hair, brown eyes, white skin, and a bright smile. She's wearing a simple sweater and jeans.

"You could have gotten hurt, you know," Kelly remarks.

"I know," the child Hunter sighs.

"Back then, my mother always used to care for me."

As the day goes by, Kelly finishes making a simple peanut butter jelly sandwich for the 5 y/o Hunter.

"She made me lunch..."

The day goes on as the two watch some kids show.

"Took part in my interests..."

As the sun begins to set, Kelly begins to clean up the place when the front door opens.

"And even..."

The young Hunter looks to see his father, a 25-year-old by the name of Oscar Huntington, entering the house. He's a construction worker who just got off of work and is holding an empty beer bottle in his hand.

"Protect me."

"Hunter, go upstairs into your room," Kelly Huntingson states.

The child Hunter is hesitant, but he complies with his mother's wishes. As he's in his room, he begins to hear yelling come from downstairs which turns into fists hitting someone and then sobbing.

"The house was never quiet when my dad was there."

_____________________________________

"Except for one special occasion."

Hunter walks downstairs as it's night outside, however, he can hear laughter and screams of joy coming from the living room. Curious, he walks in to see the room washed in blue light from the TV and both of his parents happy. He sits on the couch with them and the three watch a game of baseball on the TV.

"Whenever we watched baseball, all of the arguments, all of the misery, it vanished away,"

_____________________________________

Years have passed and it's now the year 2011 - the start of Hunter's time in middle school. As the days go by, Hunter makes sure to pick up any spare change he finds. He keeps on piling it up back at home in a jar.

"I decided for myself, that I'd be able to take my parents to see a baseball game together in person."

Hunter is getting ready for school when his mother, Kelly Huntingson, now 32, walks over to him. Her hands are cold and she looks even skinnier than she did when she was younger.

"You have a safe day at school," Kelly remarks, "Did you have breakfast?"

"I don't really need it," Hunter remarks as he ties his shoes on, "What about you, have you eaten yet?"