If God loves us, why does he let bad things happen?

I was recently asked a question. 

If God loves us, why do bad things happen?

When we grapple with the age-old question of why bad things happen in a world that's supposedly watched over by a loving God, it's important to remember that God's love for us is immeasurable. He didn't just love us; He loved us enough to lay down His life, not only for me and you but for everyone we hold dear – our siblings, our parents, our friends. Such love is beyond human comprehension, but it still leaves us questioning why we must endure pain and suffering.

In Romans, chapter 5, verses 3 through 5, we find a profound message that offers a glimmer of understanding: "Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."

This passage illuminates the idea that our suffering can, in fact, be a source of glory to God. Through our trials and tribulations, we can offer up our pain to Him, trusting that it serves a purpose. It is in our suffering that we find the seed of hope, the belief that even in the darkest times, there is a promise of a brighter future. Without suffering, there would be no need for hope, for it is hope that carries us through the toughest of times.

Perhaps, bad things happen not only for our personal growth and spiritual refinement but also to equip us with the ability to offer hope to others. When we experience the loss of a loved one, the agony it brings can be unbearable. Yet, by turning our suffering into an offering to the Father, we can find hope that the pain will eventually subside. We can then be a beacon of light for those who endure similar hardships, comforting them, praying for them, and assuring them that things will get better. In this way, our suffering may serve to inspire hope in the hearts of others.

And what about the bad people who do bad things? Our loving God granted us the gift of free will, making us human, fallible, and capable of making grave mistakes. Though we may not possess all the answers, one possibility is that God allows those who choose the path of wrongdoing to experience the consequences of their actions. It's a chance for them to turn away from sin and turn toward Him, to learn the difference between right and wrong, and to grow as individuals.

In the face of life's seemingly inexplicable hardships, it's essential to remember that God's love, His wisdom, and His grand plan are beyond our finite comprehension. We may not fully grasp the reasons behind the suffering we endure or witness in the world, but we can take solace in the hope that God's love, present even in our darkest hours, is working in mysterious ways to guide us toward a greater understanding and a deeper connection with Him.